Friday, August 19, 2005

Armpits to Underarms

I'd like to see myself as a risk taker. I'm a girl set for adventure. My personal box is open to anything new and exciting. I'm a liar. In reality, I'm pretty much not a risk taker. And my box is pretty darn small. Disclaimer: do not confuse small box with an unopen mind. I'm comfortable with myself the way I am. Why would I want to step outside of my box? It's very nice and comfortable in here. But alas, other people around me seem to be stepping out of their comfort zone and it's amazing to see the changes that come from that step. Some are good and some aren't so pleasant but the point is that they tried it. So (taking a deep breath), I'm going to take a step. I'm changing deodorants. Hopefully, that wasn't too bad of a let down. Baby steps is my motto.

For years, well since I hit puberty and deodorant became a daily must, I've used Degree. None of that teen speed stick for me...nope...I went straight for the stuff that keeps you from stinking. A girl, no matter how young, can never be too clean or smell too good. I've been happy with my choice of antiperspirant. But lately, I've been seeing these commercials (yes I know...I watch a lot of TV) for Dove. The claim is that it will turn my pits into soft and touchable underarms. Armed with stepping courage and the need for a new tube of deoderant, I went to Walmart.

Now for you to get the full effect of this, I want to set the scene. Here I am in the local Walmart. I've got my trusted Degree and I'm sniffing various scents of Dove. Side note...have you noticed that they make lots of scents and then put that plastic thing (no not the cap but the thing inside the cap) on top so you can't smell it? I had to take the cap off, twist up the tube a little and pull the plastic thingy off and then see what it smelled like. For those of you disgusted by the thought of me smelling the deoderant...well you don't know what city I live in and there are several Walmarts here so try not to worry. You probably won't pick up a pre-smelled deoderant anytime soon. Finally, I picked a scent (original if you must know) and put the Degree back. I've stepped out of the box. Armed with this knowledge I checked out and came home. Yesterday, was day one. I just felt my armpits and while they feel the same as yesterday, I am hopefull that they will be underarms shortly.

Change isn't so bad. I've tackled deoderant...what other wonderful things await me today!!!

2 comments:

Jean said...

I was a degree girl myself for a lot of years. Now I am way into lady speed stick in the light purple container. I like both shower fresh and orchard blossom. Works every bit as well as degree, but smells so much better.

PokerGodo said...

It's good to see you're trying new things!! But I am glad that I don't have to worry about purchasing a pre-smelled deodorants!!! Miss you sweety!!