Thursday, December 01, 2005

I Want Nuts

This afternoon I found myself in a serious quandary. I was running a little behind and only had about 20 minutes to get to work. Here comes the quandary...I hadn't eaten since breakfast and I was pretty hungry. I had run into Hobby Lobby to pick up some stickers and as I was waiting in the line to check out I noticed these bags of nuts. I love nuts (now all you dirty minded individuals need a mental bath) so I was trying to decided between the chocolate covered peanut clusters or the chocolate covered raisins. I was a winner either way as chocolate was involved.

Anyway, just as I was about to wrap my fingers around a package of chocolate covered peanuts, the checker (who was pretty impatient by the way) said "Can I help you ma'am?" I looked up and just grabbed the nuts and put them with the rest of my purchases. Things moved quickly after that...she was in a hurry and I was in a hurry.

I got back to my car and started to pull out of the parking lot and figured that I'd open the nuts and munch on a few before I got to work. I reached into the sack and pulled out the bag of nuts. Now you know how most things have a little slit near the corner of the bag. Well mine was sans slit. So, as I'm navigating traffic (please refer to I'm That Driver) I begin to try to get into my nuts. The darned plastic stuff wouldn't give at all. So here I am, trying to open this stupid package of nuts, and I'm driving all over my own lane.

Finally, I give it a go with my teeth. Just a tip...it's not smart to drive and practically cover your eyes with peanut packaging while you're driving. By this time I'm just wanting my nuts!!! So finally I get it where I can use both hands and try to pull the bag open. It took a lot of might, but never underestimate the power of hunger. Now, I want you to be able to picture this. I'm in the car. I'm trying to steer with my wrists as I rip open this bag of peanuts. I'm using a lot of force. Can you see what happened in your mind?

Yep, I pulled a little too hard and chocolate peanuts went flying all over me and my car. The bag was split almost down the middle and the precious little peanuts were now rolling down my shirt and between my legs. Hey, I'm a clean person and they were only down there for a minute...quit judging me.

Anyway, I grabbed one of the escapees and popped it into my mouth. I bit down and got the shock of my life...okay not my life but I've just had an experience with these nuts. It was not a nut after all. It was some chewy something or other. ICK. I soon discovered that it was caramel...I don't do caramel. A red light gave me plenty of time to look at the now nearly destroyed package of what I thought was nuts. It was bridge mix. That's a mixture of chocolate covered nuts, fruit, caramels, and filled centers.

I was a little disappointed...I only found about four actual chocolate covered nuts. Perhaps the rest are rolling around in the floor board. Anyway, the moral of this story is to take your time when picking out nuts. Hey, this is advice that works in a variety of situations!

4 comments:

doodlebugmom said...

haha. I can just see chocolate covered things flying all over your car. I bet you will be finding those little treats for a long time!

Linda :o)

mikster said...

So next time you'll be checking the content of the bag for nuts better huh?...lol

I'm not even supposed to be here today said...

ug... bridge mix. I was foiled by a Brach's package recently myself. Only one in ten pieces was worth eating. Everything else was malted this, and chewy that. Man I was pissed!

Funny story, steff... I'm glad you got to work safely!

Tracy O'Brien said...

oh I love those mixes! Do you have Revels over there? there are caramel, biscuit, orange, nut and raisin centres covered in chocolate, in a bag the size of maltesers.. orange coloured! lovely!!!