Tuesday, February 21, 2006

For You Or Me?

I began my blogging adventure about eight months ago. I never thought I'd enjoy it so much. I figured that I'd faithfully write a few posts and then I'd start to slip. That is how it's always been with journaling I did in diaries. But, much to my surprise and delight, blogging was something that I quickly took a liking to doing. I usually blog once a day and I visit others' blogs at least once a day too. It's pretty addictive.

Lately though, I've begun to question why I blog. This is a question that I had when I first started too. I blog because I like to exercise my writing skills and also to record the ins and outs of my everyday life. But, am I writing for me or for you?

I think that when I first started out (and didn't have any readers) it was easy to make my posts personal. I wasn't writing to impress...simply to ponder and reflect on my life. And frankly, I was in a transition time in my life. Being able to write about the events (when I wasn't always able to talk about them to people in my real life) was really helpful to me. But then a few people became regulars (and I became a regular on their blog) and the type of post changed. I've never made stuff up to post...all this craziness really is my life, but some of the personal did start slipping in favor of posts that would be more entertaining. I'm not sure how I feel about that.

There are a few blogs that I read that just simply provide entertainment and I really enjoy those. Sometimes it's nice to just read good writing and make snickery (that's my new favorite word!) comments. There are some blogs that I read for an educational purpose. They keep me up to date on the goings on in the world. I'll be the first to confess that I'm not a person that watches the news or reads the newspaper. So, I'm thankful that there are blogs out there that satisfy that need. There are a couple of blogs that warm my heart because they are excellent accounts of faith. My faith is important to me so I get a very real blessing from reading them. And, last but not least, there are a few blogs that just keep me up to date with friends...especially those friends who are far away.

So, from now on, I'm going to try and balance my blog. I'm sure a few purely for your entertainment value posts will surface. And more posts that are of a more personal nature will also be coming. No matter what type of post ends up here, I hope that you'll continue to drop in and leave me comments. No matter how outrageous, funny, or full of advice I appreciate them all.

9 comments:

Deb said...

It sometimes amazes me how many people will try to please others by blogging about things they are out of their character. I also started blogging approximately 7 months ago. I started off with things that ticked me off, rants, and funny tidbits---just because I needed something to write about after I wrote my first book. So I guess it was more of a ‘writing exercise’…

Then I got people commenting. I didn’t know what to do with this. I didn’t know the ‘blog etiquette’ as far as commenting back or if you should link them and what not. This is what I found…

I refuse to link someone merely out of them commenting on my blog. If I like your blog, then I link you. There are people on my link that don’t even know they’re on there. I don’t comment on posts if I can’t relate or I don’t know what to say. A shallow comment is basically a poor excuse to say, “Hey! Come to my site even though I left you a crappy comment!” I say, don’t comment at all if you can’t relate or it doesn’t interest you.

I have had bloggers EMAIL me and ask me to put them on my blogroll. WHO DOES THAT? I mean, it’s not an entitlement. What if I didn’t like that person’s blog? Your blogroll reflects what “you” like to read.

Blog for “you”…and if you feel like writing about spirituality one day---do it---and if you feel like ranting on another---we’ll still be here reading! You’re interesting and there is nothing wrong with various topics and of course….various moods.

mikster said...

I'm assuming you come over to my blog for educational purposes....and I'm always glad to help out in that area....lol

But seriously....just blog for yourself and blog about anything you want to.

I enjoy the read(s).

Tracy O'Brien said...

yep I think blog for you, keep that the main priority and you will reap the benefits.. and friends!

doodlebugmom said...

My blog started out differently too. Mine was pictures of my kids, until I got a creepy weirdo comment. I ended up deleting several posts. Now I don't even mention their names.

Steff said...

Deb: I'll admitt that I started blogging because it seemed to be the "in" thing, but I really enjoy it. I've never had anyone ask to be linked though. I agree...that is rude.

I like comments and especially if it's after a personal post. Usually people that aren't directly in the situation can provide a different view or perspective. And sometimes everyone needs that.

Oh and I just noticed the other day that I was linked in your blogroll. It was a nice surprise!

Mike: Oh yes...your blog is definetely one of the "educational" ones. It's like I have my bachelor's in that and I'm going back for my master's at your blog...lol

Baloobas: Awww, I'm glad I reaped you! And you're right. I kept thinking I'm going to try and post something to entertain others and I'm going to come off all wrong or worse...like an idiot.

Linda: I'm sorry that you had a creepy comment, but I think you probably made a wise decision. And I really like your blog just as it is!

mikster said...

I'm thinking about asking Deb if we should adopt you...lol...yanno...we'll keep on the straight and narrow road.

Steff said...

Mike: see email.

Trina said...

Steff,
I really enjoy your blog. I love reading all the different sides to somebody. I would love to see a pic of ya sometime though. Pull the whole thing together. Just a thought!

PokerGodo said...

Steff,

I am glad you blog. It's like chatting with you on the couch all over again! I Miss that!! Thanks for letting us in on your world. Keep up the great posts!!!