Saturday, February 18, 2006

It Smells Like Snow

It smells like snow today. For those of you whom the novelty of snow has worn off, you've probably forgotten the smell of snow. Allow me to remind you.

We don't see snow very often in Texas. And we always know when it's on it's way. There is a smell. When the air is extremely crisp and the wind settles deep into your bones that's when you smell snow. It's a different smell than rain...deeper, richer.

I'd bet that you're thinking I'm crazy, but it's true.

Yesterday after school another teacher and I had after school duty on the patio. I sniffed the air and smiled. She looked at me and said "Don't you just love the smell of snow?" It's not just me...we can smell it.

Today was a frigid 29 today. This morning as I left the house there were tiny freezies floating in the air. It may not turn into snow and leave my town covered in a blanket of white, but the smell was there. The wonderful fresh smell of snow.

10 comments:

Trina said...

Your story makes me want to take a deep breath and smell it myself. Yes, the novelty has wore off for me since we have had tons of snow since November, but it's nice to be reminded of what I am taking for granted.

momto3blessings said...

I love the smell of snow ! We dont get much snow here but i know the smell you are talking about you can smell it coming!

mikster said...

lol.....Do ya sniff glue too?


and 29 degrees is frigid?

my, my, my

You've got it rough there snookums

*snickers*

Steff said...

Trina: The smell of snow has gone from my town to be replaced by sunshine. Tomorrow we're supposed to be back in the high 60s. I enjoyed it while it was here!

Blessings: You can smell it coming! I love the smell of rain, but I absolutely love the smell of snow. My cousin went to school for a year in Denver, CO and when I visited I'd just breath long and deep.

Mike: No I don't smell glue...you eat that right?...lol And yeah...frigid. I'm not used to the cold like you are...living up there in the tundra.

mikster said...

so...you're saying you're frigid huh?

*snickers*

(ducks and runs)

Steff said...

Not frigid right now...all toasty and warm in my pajamas and slippers.

I'm not even supposed to be here today said...

At this point I could run around naked in 29 degrees. After a week of temps not breaking the balmy zero mark, and wind chills that bring it down to 18 below... I would probably find 29 degrees to be a bit stuffy!

It's al about perspective... I am so ready for Spring!

Steff said...

Rachael: I know...I have a skewed view of the cold...lol. It comes from living in Texas!

Tracy O'Brien said...

Snow.. we haven't had any this year.. won't hold my breath waiting for any either! But rain.. we've had plenty.. what's new, as they say "'twould be a great Country if only we could put a roof on it" lol

Anonymous said...

I too miss the smell of snow in Denver! Mom told me I was crazy the other day because I said I could smell it coming. Maybe she's the crazy one!!! Love ya, hon...