Saturday, February 04, 2006

Ride A Cowboy

I did something tonight that I haven't done in several years. I had a "date night" with my daddy. I'm an only child, a girl to boot, and I don't always appreciate the things that my dad likes. I can't stand fishing....any part of it. It's torture. It's his favorite thing to do. I don't enjoy hunting. I do like shooting a gun, but the trying to blend in with the trees...not so much. I did enjoy football games but mostly because I liked watching the guys in their uniforms. Okay so what...I'm a little sexist. Anyway, all of that was said to make the point that we have "date nights" because we didn't get to spend a lot of time together doing things.

While I was growing up, at least once a month, Daddy and I would go and do something together that we both enjoyed. During football season it was Friday night home games. He loved telling me about the plays and found it really funny when I'd ask what inning we were in. Sometimes we'd go and see a movie. Several years back the Monster Truck Rally started making a yearly appearance and I discovered that I like big things that make a lot of noise. So, we both enjoy that. Here lately, we've bonded over NASCAR.

I think that it's important that we find some common ground. My father has worked hard his whole life for his family. He held down two jobs while I was in college so that I wouldn't be as in debt when I got out. He's always there for me. He loves to help me out anyway he can. And sometimes I don't appreciate that, but there is one thing that I will know for certain for as long as I live. My father loves me.

Now, as for tonight's date. I bought tickets to a bull riding event that came to town. Daddy and I spend a lot of time watching bull riding on OLN. Anyway, as part of his birthday present I forked over an outrageous amount of money and got us second row seats right in front of the chute. There weren't any wrecks but there were some really good rides. Usually I'm not the cowboy type but these guys were hot tonight.

I think the cutest cowboy there sat right next to me. He was probably six or seven. Before the event started they were playing some country songs and Big and Rich's Save A Horse Ride A Cowboy came on. This little guy got up and started dancing and singing along. He knew every word...it was too cute. His father got a kick out of him too. He looked over at me and I winked at him. My reward was a huge grin and little more booty shaking! And speaking of shaking, there was a girl in the row in front of us that was getting her groove on. She was busting out moves that I didn't learn till college. Watch out guys...this girl should come with a warning.

Tonight was a lot of fun! It's nights like this that put to rest any fears or doubts that my father was disappointed to have a make up wearing, shopping addicted girly girl instead of a son.

8 comments:

Trina said...

I love it that you have always spent time with your Dad and you still do. That makes me have hope that my boys and I will always be close too. Keep up the good writing.

I'm not even supposed to be here today said...

Your relationship with our dad sounds so special! Good for you both!

I don't like hearing little kids sing that song. It's sexualized and it's the country equivalent to graphic hip-hop like "candy shop."

You're right, those kids should come with a warning.... the little girl AND the little boy!

PokerGodo said...

Hey Steffy,

I think your dad got the best of both worlds. Not many girly girls like NASCAR, the rodeo, and Monster Truck shows!!!

Your dad is so sweet!! Tell him I said "HI"!!

mikster said...

A girly, girl huh?

*snickers*

Steff said...

Dumb Ox: Wow...I'm an official Oxette...yippy! Does this come with any privilages? lol

Trina: I think that relationships take work on both parts. You sound very involved so I'm sure your relationships with your boys will continue to grow!

Rachael: Maybe I just thought the little boy was cuter, but I agree. Is "candy shop" the Laffy Taffy song?

Shari: Yeah he thinks I'm pretty great! Though I still cringe at fishing. I'll tell him you said hi!

Mike: Oh dear. I had to read that several times (and then try to get in your frame of mind) before I figured out why that warrented a snickers. I'm a girly, girl kinda like you're a manly, man.

mikster said...

Do girly, girls ride cowboys?....just asking...lol

Steff said...

Mike: I'm sure some do.

mikster said...

Cowboys probably like pajama's.....crumpled on the floor...is my guess.....lol

(ducks, runs, but still snickers)