Monday, February 06, 2006

The Terrible, Horrible, No Good, Very Bad Day

Today I was payin' for my raisin'.

Let's just say that I hit my rebellious peak early. It started in Kindergarten and well continued right up through fifth grade. I talked back, I didn't share, I was bratty, I talked during class, I made fun of people, I bit other babies...well you get the point. Bad to the bone. My mom likes to say that they prayed every night for direction. They just couldn't understand what they were doing wrong. I like to say that they had it easy when the biggest thing I did wrong was talk back to the teacher...no wait I did forge my mom's signature once and then lied about it when I was caught. They are grateful that I didn't hit this peak during high school when the damage could have been really bad. I mean I didn't have strange friends. I didn't have a bad boyfriends. I didn't end up pregnant. I didn't do drugs. They had it relatively easy.

But today, I paid for everything I must have done or even thought about doing wrong when I was in elementary. Today, all the fifth grade teachers were out for various things. There were only subs. The kids must have smelled fresh blood when they stepped off the bus. How else do you explain the horrible rotten behavior? They talked back. They were rude. They refused to do their work. They rolled their eyes (a hot button of mine). They cheated on quizzes. They made fun of people. They did it all. If it was bad they did it. By 10:30am this morning I started fantasizing about bedtime. Anything to just make this day go away.

All this, well and the other five weeks I've been subbing in fifth grade, makes me wonder when did kids get this way? Sure I was a trouble maker in elementary, but I don't think I was this disrespectful. And I can say that my parents hardly ever sided with me...they took up with the teacher. I seriously had a moment of doubt that I was in the right profession when I thought they couldn't pay me enough to teach here for another second. I wanted to throw my hands up and walk out. Then I remembered that I am not in a position to throw my hands up and walk out. Darn. Anyway, tomorrow has to be better than today.

12 comments:

mikster said...

Sheeeesh......I almost feel a little sympathy for ya here....what's up with that?

Take a gun with you tomorrow....I'm sure it's against the rules for students...but I'm not clear about teachers....lol

momto3blessings said...

Sounds like a bad day! I hope tomorrow is better {{hugs}}

Tracy O'Brien said...

yep that is one of the worst part of today's society, a sheer lack of respect. It is horrible, I remember when I was little we were terrified of adults.. well not terrified but kind of in awe.. especially teachers and priests. I would never ever show disrespect. Still wouldn't. That's the way it should be.. respect your elders. Simple as.

Steff said...

Mike: Better take your medicine...that character is starting to show through again. And I think the gun rule applies to everyone...lol

Blessings: Thanks! I think today will be better. A good night's rest will do wonders for a person's outlook on life.

Baloobas: I was pretty rotten when I was younger, but I still wasn't brave enough to flat out be so disrespectful of teachers or other adults.

mikster said...

So was the 2nd day any better?

Deb said...

I remember torturing the subs all the time. We even had a sub that was a transexual. She looked like an oversized Barbie doll---no lie. I never made fun of her--but damn, she got so many awful things said to her.

Subbing HAS to be rough! I give you credit!

Steff said...

Mike: Yes, the next day was better. I went in armed with office referrals and a don't mess with me kind of attitude.

Deb: So you were one of those kids? I usually have a good relationship with my classes, but I'm sure things are said when I'm not in ear shot. I guess it just goes with the job.

mikster said...

Oh hell.....wear pj's to class tomorrow....they'll think you're nuts and possibly be a lil scared of ya...oh.....and take some pictures...lol

Steff said...

Scared of me...do you remember yourself just as you hit puberty? I don't think scared is exactly what they will feel.

PokerGodo said...

You go girl!! Show them who's boss!! So, how many did you send to the office?? Did they start behaving after that??

mikster said...

So...in other words....you're saying you look hot in pj's?

Steff said...

Shari: I didn't send any from my class on Monday. The other subs sent three. I did send one yesterday. Most did straighten up though.

Mike: I'm saying that it depends on the pjs. Flannel pants and a t-shirt...not so hot. Undies and tank top...well I don't like to brag.