Friday, April 07, 2006

Domestic Goddess I'm NOT

This week has been a very slow week for subbing...slow as in absolutely not one job. So, I've spent a good amount of time at home. Many people would think that this would be a great time to do a little spring cleaning, home organization...you know...basic domestic goddess stuff. Well, guess what? There is no domestic goddess living here.

I was asked to vacuum the living room, sweep the kitchen and dining room, clean the bathroom, and wash the dog. As of this morning, the bathroom is still calling my name and the poor dog has been banished from the couch due to the "dog" smell. I did manage to get the sweeping and vacuuming done...yesterday. I refuse to believe that I'm not normal because I don't get this almost orgasmic feeling from cleaning the house.

And it's not just cleaning. I like to cook. I like to try out new recipes. Some are good and some aren't so good. Italian smothered pork chops didn't go over so well. But anyway, sometimes I have technical difficulties in the kitchen. Did you know that you can't skillet fry chicken with a Parmesan cheese coating? I learned this when I blackened the chesse, set off the smoke detectors, and the chicken was still raw in the center. Anyone want to come over for dinner?

I'm not totally lacking...I can do laundry. I know how to sort it, wash it, hang it up, and fold it. I might have a little trouble with the ironing. Sadly, I'm lacking in this area. Yesterday I ironed a shirt (that I was going to wear to a job fair) on a TV tray. It didn't look too bad. This is why I'm a big fan of dry cleaning. They do it for you.

Why this whole diatribe about being a domestic goddess...or lack there of? It's a stalling tactic. As soon as this posts I have to get up and get busy. I guess putting it off isn't going to make it go away. So...I'm off.

7 comments:

Leesa said...

Steff,

Ironing boards actually work fairly well.

mikster said...

Well...are you at least out of your 'jammies?'

*snickers*

Steff said...

Leesa: Oh I know...but mine is under the bed and honestly if the TV tray works...why bother?

I know...I'm going to make a horrible wife someday.

Mike: Yes, those did come off fairly early in the day. And come to think of it, they are on the bedroom floor in a little pool of cotton.

*snickers*

mikster said...

Sheep swim?...in a pool...in the bedroom?

Pictures are now required lil missy!

Beth said...

Nothing like procrastination. Besides Blogging is soooo much more fun!

Steff said...

Mike: Pictures of what? The bedroom floor, the pjs, the pool they were in? I'm a specifics kind of girl or didn't you know?

*snickers*

Jamie: Now I'm going to have to watch some reruns to see if that was a compliment...lol.

Beth: Oh I'd so choose blogging over housework...any day!

Deb said...

Steff---I never ever ever iron. Bring your stuff to the dry cleaners! I even bring my jeans there. I know--anal, huh?

Enjoy this time! Because soon enough you'll be looking outside of an office window thinking, "GAWD it's such a nice day out, I wish I was home!"