Monday, April 10, 2006

Living In TV Land

Recently I've been introduced to "classic" television. Last week, while on a working hiatus, I spent a lot of time at home. Anyway, I discovered that each afternoon my mom watches TV Land. The line up includes Gunsmoke, Bonanza, Leave It To Beaver, and The Andy Griffith Show. And I also discovered that my television knowledge is sorely lacking.

Yesterday we caught a Gunsmoke marathon. When my dad said "Marshall Dylan" I was like the guy with Miss Kitty? Yep...one in the same. I'd heard about Marshall Dylan and Miss Kitty in a country song. My dad just laughed. I also asked him if Matt and Miss Kitty ever got married. He said no, but he did see a movie where she came back to tell him that he had a daughter. I jokingly said "I thought people didn't have sex back in black and white." He informed me that they didn't. That movie was made AFTER the original Gunsmoke and you'd never see anyone getting it on...they didn't do that. Okay.

After watching all these classic and wholesome television shows, I kind of feel dirty watching season one of Nip/Tuck. Okay...I felt a little dirty watching Nip/Tuck before, but you know what I mean. What happened? When did we as a society stop being entertained by families and clean TV and need to be entertained by the garbage that is on now? I'm not being cruel when I say garbage either...I watch my fair share. But compared to what it used to be...we've sunk very low.

(And speaking of sinking low...this is a shameless plug to watch Survivor this week...Shane has a ummm rash on his ummm thingy. This should make for hilarious garbage on Thursday. And I bet no one has missed the Survivor recaps (yeah all you whiners out there that don't like reality tv or the recaps) but for those few of you (Annette and Trina) that did I'm directing you to a site that has a wonderful recap. They are hilarious! It's at www.televisionwithoutpity.com and there are several shows on there that you can find in depth recaps for. Okay...plug over.)


Well, I'd better wrap this up...Timmy just fell in the well and Lassie is about to save him!

3 comments:

mikster said...

OMG lil missy...You are going to offend some defenders of today's tv morality with this post. You should be more like me and try not to invite controversy to your blog.

*snickers*

Steff said...

Mike: I didn't "steal" pictures to go along with my post so I feel relatively safe. But if I do encounter controversy I'm referring them to you.

*snickers*

BTW: How is the neck pain? I'm going this week to have my neck checked out...I think you passed it along. Bad man.

Deb said...

There's nothing like an old classic movie to really make you realize where TV went... Remember the slapstick humor of Abbott & Costello? I mean, that was comical and 'clean'. But then you can't help watch the mindless reality TV that creeps up in our lives.

Great topic!