Tuesday, August 29, 2006

Living With The Aftermath

Today is the anniversary of Katrina and I, like a lot of people probably, am reflecting back on the past year. Well, that is not entirely true. I'm really thinking back to those few days at the end of last August and early September.

I felt bad for all those people who were living down there and watching their city and homes destroyed. It was pretty easy to sit back in my comfy dry house and feel sorry for them. And I did. Please don't misunderstand. My thoughts were sincere and I did feel bad for all the human life lost and the unbelievable damage left in Katrina's wake. I didn't personally know people that lived there but I knew people who did. It was one of those things that touches you even though it doesn't truly touch you.

Anyway, I'll admit that while I did sympathize and feel sorry for the whole region, I pretty much went back to my life and being wrapped up in me. Unfortunately, I think that is what a lot of people did. I said it in respect to 9/11 and I'll say it again. I think our country has a very short memory. We do feel bad at the moment but it doesn't last.

I live closer to the coast now so I pay attention when I hear anything about hurricanes or tropical storms. And also, living closer to the coast I've met some people that are Katrina and Rita victims still trying to rebuild their lives. For them, it is still as real today as it was a year ago.

I also saw an article in the Houston Chronicle about an IMAX movie that was supposed to premier today. I don't know if it did or not, but the article talked about how this production company was shooting a film on the disappearing wetlands in Louisiana. When Katrina hit they went back to film the aftermath and destruction. They even bragged about being able to gain access to restricted areas by using a borrowed helicopter from the set of Miami Vice which had Police written on it. To me that is just horrible! When true police and emergency medical people were needing to get in, here was this Hollywood production team getting access. That just seemed wrong. Anyway, while this movie about the aftermath of Katrina's fury (Hurricane on the Bayou) will bring in profits none of those profits go to Katrina relief. The proceeds will be split between educational programs and producing conservation films. Is it just me or is there something wrong with cashing in on the devestation and agony of Katrina and then not donating even a portion of the proceeds to the victims?

Anyway, my heart goes out to those people who are still rebuilding their lives and putting their cities back together.

1 comment:

Deb said...

"...I think our country has a very short memory. We do feel bad at the moment but it doesn't last."

In some ways you are definitely right on this Steff. Till this day, 9-11 still affects me and my family in many, many ways. Not just because we live here in New York or knew people who perished in that catastrophe, but the trauma of it all sends chills down our spines. All evening on 9/11--on that Tuesday, they said there would be no airplanes flying at all. Well, there were a few flying LOW, but they were military planes. We didn't know this---and went through another traumatic fear of that happening again.

The movie that just came out about 9-11 (in my opinion) is WAY too soon. We're still a little soar from it.

Even with Katrina---I think everyone was shocked beyond belief of what these poor people went through! Their loved ones dead on the side of the road and people rummaging around in sewage--getting sick from it. Too much.

They held an interview with Bush yesterday on the news, and the reporter asked him, "How do you feel about the people in America saying that there wasn't enough money or help sent to New Orleans?"

He said, "Errrrr....ummmmm.....well people pay tax! That should be enough!"


Is this really our president????