Tuesday, August 08, 2006

Meet The Teacher...That's Me!

Okay, first before I start in about Meet The Teacher night, let me tell you about a little food adventure I had recently. I'm one of those people that likes to try new things at restaurants. I've been out numerous times with others that never have to look at the menu because they order the same thing every single time they go somewhere. (Okay...I can't be too hard because I always eat the same thing at Chili's...it's all about the grilled chicken Caesar pita.) Well Monday at lunch a group of teachers when out to eat at this Mexican restaurant. I decided to be daring and try something besides safe choices like enchiladas or nachos. I ordered a stuffed avocado. I love avocado and it was stuffed with fajita beef and cheese. Who wouldn't love something stuffed with beef and cheese? Well, imagine my surprise when a big brown deep fried thing came out! They stuffed my avocado alright and then deep fried it. Fried avocado isn't....good. The meat was good, the cheese was yummy, and the beans were to die for, but the avocado...yeah not so good. I left more than half of my meal on my plate. But nothing ventured nothing gained. So if you're ever in my neck of the woods and we're eating at said Mexican restaurant just take my advice and don't order the stuffed avocado.

Okay...meet the teacher night. For you to fully understand the night I should describe my afternoon. Or maybe even my last week. Anyway, I've had a hard time getting my room in order. I had a lot of crap...err I mean learning materials and the classroom that I moved into was previously inhabited by the team leader of second grade so she left a ton of stuff too. Organizing it has been an adventure to say the least. Well, up until this afternoon about 4:30pm there were boxes and papers sitting all over the room. It was NOT ready for parents and students. But, it is amazing what a few cabinets will hide. By the time parents and students came in it looked good. It'll look better after I spend all day tomorrow in there too.

Ah...parents. God, what a mess some of them are! Most picked up on the fact that I didn't seem like the seasoned teacher and flat out asked if this was my first year. Or in a friendlier way inquired about how long I'd been teaching. While I wasn't advertising the fact that I was a first year teacher I wasn't going to hide it either. Most were very supportive and as enthusiastic about the year as I was, but one just looked me over (I felt like a bug under a microscope) and said "Well this ought to be an interesting year." I felt compelled to point out all the fun things we'd be doing and learning but she just smiled at me (like she didn't want to leave her child's learning up to me) and said "Like I said, it'll be interesting." That just makes me want to go out and show her just what I'm capable of doing. They didn't give me a degree for nothing.

Anyway, at the end of the day I'm still thrilled to be teaching and ready for whatever comes next!

11 comments:

mikster said...

Ah hell....just give me a call if it becomes necessary to kick that parents ass...No one gets to make fun of our lil steffy....unless it's me dammit!

(You'll be fine, btw)

Steff said...

Aww...thanks Mike! You always know the right thing to say to cheer a girl up...lol.

I know I'll be fine. I just wish parents would give me a shot before deciding I wasn't going to do a good job.

Deb said...

Ewwww, stuffed avacado!??? Never heard of this--but I love love avacados...my hips don't like em' though. ;)

Don't even sweat it about the parents. They're lucky that you're educating their kids. Some of them are just hard asses and want to make you feel intimidated. The best is when someone is freshly out of school---who has is still 'fresh' in their minds. Some of the older teachers, (in my opinion) lose a lot, because they're not still studying. So some of their knowledge becomes obsolete, depending on the subject too.

Good luck and show em' how it's done!

Staci said...

Youa are gonna do great Steff! I can't believe the rudness factor of that person! I hope you show her interesting!
New teachers are so much more fun for kids than the "seasoned" hard ...
well you get the point.

mikster said...

Of course I might have had to let the parent know it would be more interesting when she develops a brain and personality. But that's just me.

Steff said...

Deb: Yep...it was pretty ewww. I hope I never lose this first year excitement!

Staci: I guess at the bottom of it, that mom just wants the best. Luckily for her I'm going to be that!!!

Mike: That's why they gave me the degree and classroom and you get people in bed. Oh wait...did that come out right?

*snickers*

WordBearer said...

The woman just wants the best for her child. That is better than apathy anyday.

Don't get to tired Steff. I started law school today and I am already pooped.

Anonymous said...

There is always at least one parent like that. And, in my opinion she bordered on rude and whether or not she wanted what is best for her child is immaterial. She should treat you graciously and encourage you as a first year teacher. If I were giving advice I would say to put her words out of your mind because even when you have a wonderful year she may not bother to acknowlege that you are a good teacher. Good luck Steff and have fun!

Tracy O'Brien said...

Some people are put on this earth to test us!! That is exactly what that particular parent is doing. I think that you can see them not as an obstacle but as a challenge.. one that will boost your own career and experience. I think you will be brilliant, your enthusiam is flying off the page!!

Anonymous said...

Enjoyed a lot! »

Anonymous said...

Cool blog, interesting information... Keep it UP » » »