Friday, December 01, 2006

Bittersweet

My first very own Christmas tree is up!

I had planned to work on it tomorrow afternoon, but the mood struck me tonight. And conveniently the Christmas boxes were still sitting in my living room so tonight it was.

I have to admit that I was fully expecting to be full of all these great holiday feelings when in reality I was torn between enjoying the Christmas spirit and having a serious case of homesickness. And that is funny because this is my home.

Putting up the tree was a big production when I lived at home. My mom sat in her recliner and directed my dad and me as we strung just shy of a million lights on our tree. She was of the opinion that the more lights the prettier the tree. I only have two strands on my tree and I guess I can kind of understand what she's talking about...it looks a little sparse. Mostly on the bottom, because I was doing a great wrapping job on the top. Oh well...I think it adds personality!

Anyway, she was the director. At the time it usually seemed almost too much trouble to bother with. My dad would ask her if she'd want to trade places...she never did. Well, by the time the lights were on, my dad was so full of holiday spirit that he would head outside. Putting the ornaments on the tree belonged to my mom and me. She'd unwrap them and I'd hang them.

We'd share funny stories about ornaments and she'd tell me the same stories that she's always told me about why such and such an ornament was special. I always liked that. After much work and a little more grumbling our tree was up and it was always beautiful.

Tonight I got a little sad. There was no grumbling about the lights. I unwrapped my ornaments without sharing laughs and stories. Oh, I remember the stories...word for word. I had to step back and judge my own handiwork. I missed my parents. I missed the grumbling about the lights.

Anyway, my tree is up and I think it's very pretty. Now it just needs some presents and my stocking and I'll be set!

8 comments:

mikster said...

Look at it this way kiddo....you're on your way to starting your own stories and traditions.

Have a super weekend!

Anonymous said...

I agree with Mike, but it is hard at first. However, I have to say how proud I am of you for putting a tree up. So many of my single friends havent bothered in the past. Did your parents give you some of the ornaments from their tree? By the way, your memories of your parents are just like my memories of my parents....that was funny to read.

Steff said...

Mike: Very true. I hope your weekend was good too!

Trina: Christmas is my favorite time of year (even though it is always crazy busy!) so I couldn't NOT put up a tree. I talked to my mom today and she said that now I know what it was like the first year she had to put up the tree without me when I was in college...not the same as when together.

Steff said...

Jamie: It does a heart good to hear from a friend :) Pictures coming soon.

Anonymous said...

I know they are missing you this year too. When do you head back to your parent's home?

mikster said...

Did I see pictures coming soon?

*snickers*

*~Annette~* said...

I need to take some pics of my tree. It has ONE ornament on it this year. Why? I have no hooks. I haven't bought the 50 cent package to hang them up. Well... I did. And then promptly LOST it. So still an ornamentless tree. With an angel on top and lots of lights. And presents under the tree.

Steff said...

Bethany: I'm sure they are, but with moving and redoing the house they've got plates full. I'm going home the 22nd. Are you going back?

Mike: TREE pictures Mike...pictures of the TREE. Though I was invited to another holiday thing that requires you to wear pajamas. Don't you wish you were in my circle of friends?

*snickers*

Annette: I can totally picture your tree in my head. It reminds me of a tree my friend put up her first year. She was very much into the Dallas Cowboys so she had blue lights, silver tinsil, and a cow ornament that I gave her...it was perfect. Your tree sounds lovely.