Monday, January 08, 2007

Hi...This Is Steffany...Blah Blah Blah

A few months ago while studying my phone bill, I came to the conclusion that it would be cheaper to get an answering machine rather than keep paying for the "extras" like caller ID and call waiting.

At first, it all sounded like a great deal. But then in reality, I discovered that never once did I look at the phone, see who was calling, and then ignore the call. Call me curious...but I want to know who is calling me from that weird number. Nine out of ten times I end up having to reject some poor telemarketer person, but what if it's an emergency call or something? Also, in all of the six months I've lived here I haven't had two calls at the same time. So...caller ID...pointless. Call waiting...even pointless-er.

So, I bought an answering machine and I got it set up tonight. Is it just me or is setting up an answering machine more time consuming than one would originally think? It might just be me, but for my sake let's pretend that it's all of us!

Well, I read my directions, turned the tv down, and hit the record button.

"Hello, this is your name here...crap...that's where I'm supposed to say my name...oh dang this thing is recording."

Feeling only slightly silly, I found the erase button and began again.

"Hi, this is Steffany. Ifyou'llleaveyournameandnumberI'llcallyouback..." Yeah. It sounded that fast on the machine. Scratch.

"Hi, this is Steffany. I'm not available for your call so please leave your call number...&*%^"

By this point, I'm no longer so interested in this stupid answering machine. Whose idea was this again? Finally, I decided to grab a pen and paper and write out what I'd say before I hit the record button. I thought about being witty. I thought about trying to smile and see if I could hear it in my voice. I debated between "Hi, this is Steffany..." and "You've reached 936..." I thought about how pathetic this was and hit the button.

"Hi, this is Steffany. I can't take your call right now so please leave your name, number, and a brief message and I'll get back to you. Thanks."

So, if you've got my number give me a call. See what you think.

8 comments:

Deb said...

Steff---I have to email you something funny! (ha)!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Let me tell you- recording your voice for one is just the most annoying thing to me. I HATE IT. I redo it like a zillion times! And then the whole leaveamessageafterthebeep! Now they have the automated robot-like voice on these new answering machines. Thankfully I used to work for the phone company and get free voice mail. It's easy and you don't have to hook anything up.

Let me know if you get my email!

Steff said...

Deb: Yes, I got your email. It was funny! I was curious to see if I'd missed any important calls..."You have zero new messages." Oh well.... :)

WordBearer said...

Just don't start it with "Hello" and a long pause.

My niece does that with her voice mail and it is annoying to start talking and then realize that it is a machine.

Edtime Stories said...

An answering machine??????

Finally everyone has one now....

Anonymous said...

Bawahahaha! That was too funny...all those trys and then the standard message! Gotta luv ya!

mikster said...

"Hi! This is Steffany and I'm unable to take your call because I can't find my pajamas. Please leave a message and when I'm fully dressed I'll get back to you."

*snickers*

Anonymous said...

I hate technology. Poor BG had to load the mp3 sje gave me for Xmas.

Steff said...

WB: No long pause...I only got 30 seconds to record the whole message!

Ed: Yeah...thanks for being my first message! Not even my mama has called it.

Jamie: Yep, I decided short and simple was best. Isn't that how it always turns out to be?

Mike: About damn time! I thought your snickery supply had run dry. :)

Fin: I don't even have an MP3 or iPod or blue tooth...what is a blue tooth anyway? I think some people were just wired for technological stuff.