Friday, January 12, 2007

On My Honor, I Will Try...

to stay away from my freezer!

Yeah, that sounds like a pretty strange thing to make a pledge to do, but you aren't aware of what is lurking in there amid my frozen waffles and ice cubes. It's ice cream. Not just any ice cream, but Dreyers Slow Churned ice cream. Not just Dreyers, but Samoas flavored ice cream. Oh my gosh...

Okay, this is a little side story....like extra...for free! Anyhow, when I was growing up I was in Girl Scouts for many years. I loved it! I started in second grade and continued all the way through middle school. And not to brag or anything, but I was the number one cookie seller in my troop. So, I know my girl scout cookies forward and backwards. I'd never heard of a Samoa before. We called them Caramel Delights. But, no matter what you call them...they are heaven in a box. Coconut, caramel, chocolate, cookie...need I say more. Except maybe "Hey, watch the drool. It's not good for keyboards." Some of my best memories of my childhood are tied up in Girl Scouts. I'm even still in touch and good friends with two girls that were also in my troop.

Back to this ice cream though...I couldn't believe they had Caramel Delight (excuse me, Samoas...I'll never get used to that) ice cream. I couldn't resist buying. Talk about impulse buying. My dedication to smallerizing my hips went by the way of VHS tapes. Wait...that didn't sound right...isn't it VHS tapes?

Ever since I brought the temptation loaded quart of ice cream home, it's been calling my name. I had a bowl the night I brought it home and much to my delight (and my hips' demise) there are crunched up pieces of cookies in there. I stopped just short of licking my bowl clean. I do have a little dignity left. Anyway, ever since then, I've only eaten it one spoonful at a time. I stop by each night and get a spoonful to enjoy. And for those of you only focusing on my double dipping approach...it's my quart so there.

I think I'm enjoying it more because it brings back memories for me. It's funny how food can do that to you. So, while I'm enjoying the memories a lot, I'm trying to ration the ice cream!

But it sure is hard!

13 comments:

WordBearer said...

I'm not an ice cream fan myself, but I say eat a load of it. Your hips will understand.

Besides many of us guys like a girl with meat on her bones.

Remember: bones are for the dogs, meat is for the men.

Don't sweat it Steff.

My addiction is worse for your health so eat your ice cream. I will stick to my Jack Daniels.

If they ever make a Jack Daniels flavored ice cream we might just have to get together.

*~Annette~* said...

You know, I've never had a thing for ice cream. I like it, but not crazy for it!!!!!

Chocolate chip cookies, however... *sigh* I can't even BUY them.

Edtime Stories said...

I try to keep from too much snacking but I don't think anyone should obsess. If you healthy, embrace what kind of body you have and enjoy the pleasure.

Anthony said...

Wow, that sounds like a great flavor. I'm not that big of an ice cream fan, but I love those cookies :). I'm torturing myself just thinking about it.

Anthony
Journey Through Divorce

Steff said...

WB: You are always so hard on yourself! Ice cream (good ice cream) is a weakness of mine so I can't just eat all I want. But I'm so tempted with this stuff!

Annette: Everyone has their thing that tempts them. Cookies have never really been my thing...lol. Good luck to us both!

Ed: Great advice about being okay with whatever type of body you have. But, I still shouldn't go crazy with that ice cream!

Anthony: I like those cookies pretty well myself. Hey...isn't it almost cookie selling time?

Anonymous said...

I'll trade you freezers! No self control needed here ... my freezer is filled with frozen chicken, waffles, broccoli, and some green beans. Not too much to get excited over.

Have a great evening,
Anita

Anonymous said...

I love ice cream, too, many forms of it. It's terribly fattening, so - I just don't keep it around. When I do want some, I buy a half gallon or so of it, and then - eat my fill and give the rest to the boys to get rid of it.
bb+

Steff said...

Anita: Yeah, I normally have a non-tempting freezer too. And believe it or not, this one spoonful a night is actually working.

Ben: Fattening yes, but not so bad in spoonful incriments. :)

Valerie said...

my weakness: Hagaan Daas vanilla. i realize it's boring as hell, but it's soooooooooooooooooooooooooooo gooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooood.

WordBearer said...

Your hips object?

And I assume your hips don't lie.

I'm always hard on myself. I am a terrible person. I am at home with my faults.

Åsa said...

Steff: my downfall is Ben & Jerry’s Chunky Monkey. Can’t have it home all the time or I would look like one! It’s fantastic to make milkshakes with it as well. Might have to get some for tonight actually…

~art said...

yes it is

Anonymous said...

Spoonful increments? ROFL!
That's too funny!
bb