Tuesday, February 06, 2007

What A Chore

For those of you who I haven't called to tell...last week someone stole my trash can. Yeah...you read that right. Someone STOLE (as in took without asking or returning) my TRASH CAN (that thing you put trash in).

In defense of the thief, I had left my trash can by the side of the road for a few days. What? We only have trash pick up two days a week and if I recall correctly that was a very busy week for me. Anyway, by the time I came home those nights it was dark and I didn't want to have to walk up the road in the dark to retrive my trash can. So, there set my trash can for at the most three days. I don't know...maybe that said to someone that it was up for grabs. Whatever the reason apparently someone needed it more than me.

And that brought me to my next problem...I had to go and buy a new trash can. I'm not really a trashy person, but frankly it was getting ripe under the sink and needed to be taken outside. My friend went with me to Wal-Mart and pushed the basket while I wheeled a monster of a trash can around. My old one (the stolen one) wasn't that big. It would hold one...possibly two depending on what was in the bag so I upgraded. It's huge. And green. (I'm just trying to help that mental picture out there!) Thankfully, it did fit in my car trunk and it's currently residing in the front yard.

Now, for the meat of this post. My least favorite chore is taking out the trash. Not that I injoy any of them, but trash is the worst. Believe it or not, but I only have about two years worth of trash hauling experience. While I was growing up my dad always took out the trash. I really believe that trash is an inheriantly male chore (no offense all you single gals out there...I'm a single gal too). I mean...think about it. Doesn't take out the trash dominate most young boys chore list? Don't most men (of the married variety) do the trash duty? Isn't there something manly in hauling a white plastic bag of trash to a smelly dumpster? Okay...maybe manly was pushing it, but my point is that trash seems to be a guy thing. And I hate that it is my thing now.

The gathering it up around the house isn't that bad and walking it outside to the trash can right off the porch isn't that bad. What I hate is wheeling that huge thing down to the road. I'm not sure how far it is from my porch to the edge of the road, but it's further than your average driveway. And, seriously, sometimes the trash smells. Are you getting the picture about why this is my least favorite chore?

Anyway, at least my new mean green trash can is bigger so the trips are fewer nowadays. And can you guess what chore I'm trying to put off by writing this post? I guess it's a lame dream to think the trash will sprout legs and walk itself down to the road, huh?

7 comments:

Deb said...

Where we live, we have to grab out trash and head out to the dumpster. But at night, it's scary because you don't know what's lurking out there OR inside that bin! I think it's better suited for the masculine types! ;) But all in all, if you haul it out during the day when everyone can see you- shouldn't be so bad.

The worst part about it is, lugging that can through Wal-Mart.

Steff said...

Deb: Yes, I agree. Trash is a man's job! lol

WordBearer said...

Manlaw: The man shall control the garbage can, thermostat, and remote. All other areas are reserved to the female if not explictly denied to her by other manlaws.

Steff said...

WB: Womanlaw...men are idiots.

Anonymous said...

Too funny, writing SEVERAL paragraphs about taking out the trash. But still very well written!

Steff said...

Jamie: I know! I was stalling so I wouldn't have to take out the trash...lol.

Trina said...

hahaha how sad that someone stole a TRASHCAN!! I mean come on, if you are gonna steal something make it special...rofl

I agree that it is a MALE chore, but I have lots of males around to push that chore onto...hehehe