Tuesday, March 06, 2007

What Is With The Fake Smile?

It seems that recently my blog has become a self-photo blog. It wasn't as tramatic as I thought it would be either. Oh, I'd posted pictures before (things like my cat or my Christmas tree), but I hadn't posted any of me. It might sound silly, but for me, putting myself (literally myself) out on the internet was a big deal. You just never know who might cut you and where they might paste you and I don't consider myself a raving beauty so I didn't want any negative comments. Thankfully, everyone has been complimentary and I haven't been pasted anywhere unsavory.

Anyway, all these pictures has brought something to my attention. I really do have a fake smile. That smile on my face...it's not the real thing. Apparently the real thing is much prettier and my mouth isn't open so much. I bet this all seems random, but for many many many years my parents have been telling me not to give the fake smile when I have my picture taken. And for many many many years I've questioned that what if that really is my smile. Are they saying my real smile seems fake?

Well, apparently, my parents aren't the only ones that have noticed this fake trend. My friend G took a lot of pictures of us over the last week (cook off, sock hop, and Dr. Seuss Day pictures) and we were looking at them today. Out of no where she asks me, "Steff, what is up with the fake smile? You've got one on in every picture." Not to mention that of course my parents had to mention that the smiles were all fake when I shared the pictures with them. Well...crap.

It's hard for me to distinguish between the real smile (the one that comes out when cameras aren't around) and the faker (the photo ham). So, I asked a few people. What makes my smile "real". Apparently I have dimples when I have a true smile, my eyes light up, and my mouth has a more relaxed posture. Okay.

My apologies to those of you who have to suffer through the faker photos. Now, that I've admitted that I'm capible of a fake smile, I have to wonder how I can coax a real smile to the surface when the camera is around. I suppose it'll involve practice and a lot of exposure to cameras. Wish me luck...this might not be pretty!

3 comments:

Nikky said...

Ive been told I have a fake smile, too. But I like mine, and use it often. It is literally dripping with sarcasm. I can see it in my eyes in the pics, heck, I can FEEL it on my face when I'm doing it. It's that "Yeah, screw you anyway" smile...Of course, I did several years in the food service industry, so I'm fairly sure that's where I acquired it.
Enjoy your fake smile, wear it proudly!!

Christina_the_wench said...

I've been away but I LOVE the photos! You're beautiful, girl.

Trina said...

Well I dont know your REAL smile, but your fake one is really pretty too! Although bring on the dimples...I wish I had dimples *pouting*. I also have to say that I am constantly telling my boys to smile with their eyes, not this blank camera smile that looks like Im raising a bunch of zombies. Anyway they are starting to get it. Well except for Abram, he gives me the goofiest look sometimes...lol.