Wednesday, April 18, 2007

A Bit Disillusioned

One of the things I truly love about my job is when at the end of the day I know...deep down know...that today was a productive day. On those days all my kids learned something, light bulbs were coming on, and I know that when parents ask how the day went the kids are going to know what to say.

And then there are days like today...where I've been totally disillusioned about teaching. Someone today told me that if you got rid of the parents the teacher's job would be so much easier. Thankfully, I don't have a lot of parent issues, but the ones I have are rough.

Yesterday, a student got in trouble for not participating in class, not following the rules, acting out, and being disrespectful. I sent a note home to the parent letting her know why her child had moved his clip. Today, I got a letter back in response. It said a lot, but the highlights (or lowlights depending on how you look at it) said that I obviously had no classroom management skills so therefore I couldn't hold the students' attention. It also charged me with having reading as a very low priority because I was destroying her son's interest in reading. And the kicker...I do not have the experience nor knowledge to be teaching children. The letter didn't imply her child but children in general.

Yeah, it left me in a funk all day that I just couldn't shake.

I know that those charges are not true. I am a good teacher and I am impacting students' lives in a positive way. It was just hard to hear (or read) that a parent has felt that all year long I've been harming her child. Trust me, I'm still a little upset about the whole thing, but I've been shaking it off more and more as the day has gone on.

I debated about not putting these thoughts on screen, but I know this isn't the first time this will happen so I want to remember that yes it wasn't pleasant, but I got over it. And more importantly...I know it isn't true.

I am a great teacher!

6 comments:

smileymamaT said...

I can tell just through your writing voice, that you are a great teacher. When you talk about "your" kids, your voice shines. Believe me, I understand. The kids whose life you positively influence (and this will be pretty much all of them) will remember you well into their adult life. You know how what the parent said isn't true? This is all that matters.
T

jessielavon@yahoo.com said...

IT'S A FRONT PORCH PARTY!
I am going to have a front porch party on the morning of April 30th.
so come on over and sat a spell.
bring your mountain dew ,coffee or what ever,cracker pie or anything else even art work. Just bring y'alls selvs.
ALL Y'ALL HAVE TO DO IS LEAVE A COMMENT TO THIS POST BETWEEN TONIGHT AND BY 8 A.M ON THE 30TH AND I WILL DRAW A NAME ON THE 30TH AND THE WINNER WILL GET A FREE PAINTING OF CHOISE.
TITLES Y'ALL CAN CHOOSE FROM ARE ON MY EARLY POST A FEW WAYS DOWN POST THAT SHOWS ALL MY WORK.
IT WILL BE A 11"X 8" SO LEAVE THEM COMMENTS SWEETPEAS.
FOR EVERY 50 DIFFERENT COMMENTS EACH A DIFFERENT PERSON/BLOGGER THERE WILL BE A WINNER UP TO 200 COMMENTS.. LETS GET READY FOR A PARTY DARLINGS.
oh a added thoughts,bring yourselvs,art ,photos,creative,lemonaid,garden hat anything at all and I will share the photos afterwards. I will have the table set with mountain dew,coffee,chocolate truffles,pans of beans to shell ,art and anything else I can think of between now and then.

The drawing will be right after I have my meds,see to my auggie and tucker and my garden. I am having so much fun I dont know which way I am going,CAN Y'ALL TELL I LOVE GETTING COMMENTS! ebay is loaded,I just added aceo cards and paintings.COME SEE ME UMDER purple*cucumbers over there.

Nikky said...

Personally, I see this as a lazy and defensive parent. The school year is almost over, and if she has had issues with you, why is she only speaking up now, that "johnny' has brought home a note?
Where was she at conference time? Why did she not voice her 'concerns' then?
I think you're right to let this go, and KNOW that you are doing good, in your school, and in the lives of YOUR kids... You're the kind of teacher I want for my kids (I've had a couple come into their lives, but not nearly enough!)

*~Annette~* said...

Steff... you are a good teacher. Parents often try to balme anything except the problem... their own child. They want to think their child is perfect and everyone else is the one that should be broguht into line.

Girlll... welcome to teaching! Love it!! I miss it all the time!

Melissa said...

I'm so sorry for you! My only teaching experience has been at the college level, and most of my students were adults, so no parent issues! I have determined that when my daughter starts school this fall, I'll not be one of those "problem parents."

Becky said...

Steff,
I am so sorry to hear about your note and sorry that I haven't sent you a message sooner. Just relax - you are a wonderful teacher and remember that sometimes when things don't go the way parents want them to, they blame the teachers instead of asking them for help. You are doing a wonderful job - your kids love and I know you only get better! - Becky