Thursday, April 19, 2007

Brown Thumb

Me: Oh crap! This Lima bean plant the Science teacher gave me to grow in my room is dying. I mean I don't know for sure that it's dying...maybe it's supposed to turn brown and go limp.
Kids in the class: "Ms. Stewart...our plant doesn't look right."
Me: "Well..."
Kids: "Did you give it water?"
Another Kid: "Maybe it needs more sunlight." (I should point out that I have exactly zero windows in my room!)
More Kids: "How come this bean hasn't sprouted?"
Kid Who Hits The Nail On The Head: "Ms. Stewart killed it!"

Yes, friends, I killed the Lima bean plant entrusted to my care. We have a wonderful Science teacher that is always planning neat activities for the kids. They talked about plants and their various parts and then they planted three Lima beans in a cup. They brought it to me, healthy and alive, and said I needed to take care of it.

Now, I should stop right here and let you in on a secret...I have a brown a thumb. I can kill silk plants. I'm dead (sorry I had to stop and giggle at my cleverness)...great I giggled too much and can't even remember where this thought was going. Anyway, I can't keep plants alive. I've tried and I stink at it. Can you imagine my panic at having to care for 21 little darlings' plant? Around Easter we had a four day weekend. Being the dutiful teacher that I am, I emailed the Science teacher to ask about how to care for the plant over the weekend. Well, the thing is I forgot to check back. It's demise could have been preempted by the four days of dehydration it suffered. Humph.

Anyway, I've been trying to get these beans to grow and sprout, but they haven't. The teacher across the hall is practically growing a tree out of her cup and ours has barely sprouted out of the dirt. I didn't know how long I could keep it's sorry condition from the kids, but today they discovered the awful truth about their teacher. She kills harmless plants.

We're supposed to be getting a painted lady caterpillar next week...maybe I'll have more luck with a class pet than I did with a class plant!

5 comments:

Valerie said...

i as well can kill. i've killed a cactus. THAT'S bad.

Melissa said...

I have a plant that was left over from my grandmother's funeral (nearly eight years ago) in my office. I nearly killed it (which would've killed ME) until our office manager became it's foster parent. Now it's doing great!

Hey - maybe you can find a foster parent for your class projects!

marykathryn said...

That is soo funny!! Well in hopes to make you feel better I must confess that I too have a "black thumb"..that is what I call it, you see, mine sounds much worse..hehe
Just run to the store and buy another one, then you can add deception to your bag of tricks along with plant killer..lol

smileymamaT said...

well umm...good luck with the caterpillar. At least they eat when they're hungry, ha. Maybe you could research online how to care for caterpillars!!!

Sandman said...

I can't grow anything either. And I was raised on a farm too.