Friday, May 25, 2007

Night Owl

Today, or rather yesterday, was the last day of school! I simply can't believe how fast time has flown. It really doesn't seem possible that the end is here. This has been a great year. There have been some downs, but so many ups too! One of my co-workers said that we're no longer "firsties" and I hadn't stopped to think about it in those terms. But, yeah the first year is done. Well, not totally because next week is teacher work days where I'll wrap up my classroom and get it settled for the summer. It was a great year and I'm completely happy to wrap it up and set it on the shelf of experience!

Now, as to this night owl business. I gave this post that title because it's the middle of the night...literally. It is 1:07 in the A.M! As some of you might know...this is very atypical for me to be up and moving around this late...or early.

Yesterday, school let out early so I was home several hours earlier than normal. I did some laundry, cleaned a little on my house, and had a snack. Then around 6pm I went to lay down for a little nap. I'm a fan of naps. They don't usually leave me groggy, but can actually improve my mood and make me more productive. See...posting at 1am...productive!

Yes, I slept until 12:45am when a call from a friend woke me up. He asked if I was sleeping and it took me a minute to realize where I was and what time it was. I'd been asleep since 6pm! That's practically a full night's sleep. I chatted with him for a few minutes and then sat up in bed. It was one of those times where you feel you should lay back down because hello...it's dark outside and it's the middle of the night, but...I had pretty much woken up. So, I went to the bathroom and here I am.

I suppose this past week has just caught up with me. I had something every single night plus just the stress of hurrying around to get things completed with the end of school and all. (Short side note: School was officially supposed to end next Wednesday, but a waiver from TEA...Texas Education Agency...allowed us to call Friday the last day of school. Every thing got pushed up along with all the end of the year paperwork and such. So, besides the social things I was going to I had this on my mind. Like I said...busy!) So, it makes sense that the week would catch up with me at some point. I just didn't think it would happen so quickly!

So, what do night owls do in the middle of the night? I'm not one so this is all new to me. I am a little hungry since I missed supper earlier. I think I'm going to try eating a bite and then I'm getting back in bed. I'll pop in a movie and see if that helps put me back to sleep. If not, I'll be back to see what you night owls suggest because I know some of you are up and at your best right now!

Ohmygoodness...I just thought of something. I'll probably be wide awake (still) and ready to start the day tomorrow bright and early. Darn. I was looking forward to getting to sleep late on Saturday morning. I may just lay in bed until 9am or so in protest! Oh jeez. I'm like a baby with my days and nights all mixed up!

9 comments:

Sandman said...

What do night owls do? Struggle to stay awake on the graveyard shift from 2-4 AM. Well amongst other things. :)

Nikky said...

I usually start my evenings with David Letterman and Craig Ferguson. I'm usually monkeying around on my laptop, while I flip it over to Nick@Nite, there's always something good there.

If I get bored online and or with the TV I have been known to do laundry and work on my scrapbooking in the wee hours.

Once, I was bored SO BORED, and could not get to sleep so I went out and cleaned my garage (what? It needed to be done) at 2 am. I walked out of the garage as the sun was coming up... it was clean and I was finally able to sleep.

I assume you managed to get back to sleep, I do not see an adendum to your post!

Steff said...

BJ: LOL...living alone I had to manage with a movie and popcorn. ;)

Nikki: I played around on the computer and then watched a movie. I was back to sleep around 3:30. You scrapbook?! Me too!

doodlebugmom said...

When I am up during those wee hours, I play cribbage online. Lots of people from NZ and Australia on then. Or other insomniacs like me

:o)

Mike Stewart said...

Ah the last day of school! That must feel even better for teachers than it does for the kids! I still remember how good it felt from my school days (many, many, many, many moons ago!). The only thing that felt any better was the day I got out of the Army and the day I retired! Have a great summer darlin'!

Steff said...

Linda: Normally I'm not one of those people up in the night. I think I was just over exhausted last week. Anyway, I seem to be back in my normal sleep pattern!

Mike: Yeah...most of the teachers were plenty glad to see summer coming too! And thanks, I plan on having a very memorable summer. ;)

Allison said...

If I'm at school, usually one of my friends is online until the wee hours of the morning, sometimes I stay up until at least 2 talking to them since we're all so busy in the day. At least my first class wasn't until 8:50!

Anonymous said...

I am so glad that you are through with your first year. I know it feels good to have that first year behind you. Congratulations! I hope you have a wonderful summer.

Lori said...

Trina sent me to your blog b/c I'm a teacher too. I totally understand with the end of the year rush right now! I am jealous that you are finished! We have until June 6th!!!

I have to copy your email too - SO TRUE!! (hope you don't mind!!!)I'll have to pop back in ~ you have great classroom stories!

Congrats on your first year down! :-)