Wednesday, September 05, 2007

It's A Guy Thing...Right?!

Let me begin by saying that I mean no offense to those girls that kill their own bugs, know a spark plug from a sparkler, and remain completely calm in the face of minor home repair. Let me also say that I'm not that kind of girl! So, I truly admire you chicks.

Yesterday was a little bit of a no bueno day...starting with the fact that my car wouldn't start. Sitting in the car listening to the sound of nothing as I turned the ignition I immediately wished for a man...any man. A man seems to make those bug, sparking, and home repair situations so much more easier to deal with. Anyway, the battery was dead. Unfortunately not horror movie dead but really dead. Thanks to a sympathetic co-worker I made it to work on time and safely home with a new battery.

And even more importantly, the guy next door was willing to switch them out for me for the small price of a batch of oatmeal raisin cookies (I think I'll leave out the part about my cooking skills!). But, he did mention that I should replace the battery terminals. More specifically the hot end of the terminal.

Are you picturing how blank my face looked?!

Well, anyway I took myself down to the local Auto Zone after work and felt like I was entering some sacred man place. I must have had some awed expression on my face because the sales guy just smiled and asked if he could help. I told him that I needed the hot end of a battery terminal. Then he started to ask about the number of connectors and he lost me. I simply handed him my sassy girl sticky note and said this was all I knew. Hopefully I've gotten the right part.

So, my question (any guy feel free to answer!) is does car knowledge come along for the ride with that Y chromosome? I mean do guys "just know" or does someone teach them? Whatever it is I sure am glad guys have it and that they are willing to take some pity on girls that don't!

8 comments:

Melissa said...

Here is my embarassing admission - I USED to know all that stuff, BEFORE I got married. My dad is a mechanic, and I spent lots of summers going to work with him. (He owned his own business). But once I got married, POOF! I didn't need that information before, so I propmtly forgot.

I'll hang on to that saying, "Tis better to have loved and lost, than to have never loved at all." Except insert "know about car stuff" where "love" is.

You get the picture.

Valerie said...

not a guy (DOY) but have an answer for you.
remember when they took us girls for that talk? THAT talk?
that's when they took the boys, and gave 'em each a shot chock full of all auto knowledge.

Jaded said...

Sounds like me when the mechanic was trying to explain the whole concept of that gasket thingy I just had replaced...along with some brakes and a new battery! I am SO with you on this, because even my computer geek husband, the resident spider killer, knew all about the gasket.

Glad you got to and from work safely!

Anonymous said...

Men learn from other men and as boys growing up. I learned how to, with my first car, change my oil, my transmission fluid, etc. However, with the way cars are built today, it's totally different anyway.

Jacquie

Nikky said...

Oh, honey, I can do all sorts of home improvement, I can kill things, but with cars, all I know is where the gas goes and where the washer fluid goes. I can't even change a tire! I am so glad you have a good neighbor who can be bought with cookies!

doodlebugmom said...

My first clunker...um..I mean car...had a starter problem. So I would have to pop the hood; Make a connection with my trusty screw-driver ("borrowed" from my dork landlord). Believe me, that was a guy magnet. I guess a chick in the college parking lot with the hood up got their attention, but when I actually got the car running, they would always smile!

Lindsey said...

It doesn't come with the Y strand. My man, granted he is very smart about MANY things, knows NOTHING about cars, very little about home repair, and I do all the lawn stuff most of the time. But I know nothing (nor do I care!) about car stuff. THank goodness you had a great coworked AND neighbor!!

Lori said...

ha! I was right there where you were just a few months ago!! Exact same - had to replace the terminals or something or other? ha! I was clueless! Luckily, my cousin's hubby took pity on me! I call it "renting a hubby" ha!