Wednesday, September 26, 2007

Laughter Is Good For The Soul

I'm one of the lucky ones. The easily amused lucky ones I mean. During a really horrible year in college (I had the roomie from hell) I had basically forgotten to take some time and laugh. My mom reminded me that I've always been a happy person and sometimes you've just got to laugh to keep from going insane (or to prison for killing aforementioned roomie). She told me that as a baby/toddler she'd hear me in the other room just laughing and entertaining myself. I think those moments were pretty precious to her. So, apparently it started young. Yep, I often crack myself up and find humor in the most absurd things.

For example, I have certain words that just tickle my funny bone. Wiener (and not for any dirty reason) is one of them. I remember being in Houston on a Girl Scout trip one year and seeing a department store called Wieners. What an odd name for a department store don't you think? It was probably a men's store... Anyway, that word just stuck. I have a couple of friends that will toss it into the conversation just to get me going and I'm ashamed to admit that it works pretty well.

Another word is Twinkies. This one is sorta steeped in a dirty history (which to my mom's probable delight I'll skip sharing) but that word just makes me giggle. It could have been the context in which it was used but I'll never say the word the same again. I'm giggling now and I'm just typing it! Good grief.

Well, yesterday I got to add another word to the list. Waft. I know...seems like a harmless word. It all started before our Open House (like meet the teacher sorta) at school and one of the other teachers asked me to sniff her to see if she smelled like Subway. I (apparently not so subtly) leaned in and sniffed. I didn't smell anything sandwhichy. But just to be sure I gently fanned my paper in my hand to waft any scent over to my nose. (Yes, this is how tired teachers spend the night...sniffing each other.) Anyway, she asked what I was doing and I told her I was seeing if any scent wafted over.

Apparently, she'd never heard the term waft and wanted to know if I'd gotten confused and meant queefed. I quickly assured her that I wasn't the one confused! Well, that started a whole waft conversation and ended up with her telling another teacher to "Waft this!". I'm sure something is completely lost in translation but the scene was pretty funny. Well, today everything was waft this or waft that. And I spent a good portion of the day giggling to myself.

Words aren't the only thing that amuse me, but I think I should wrap this up. I would imagine many are thinking I'm something of a nut and well...maybe you're right. But I'm a happy nut!

7 comments:

Jaded said...

Too funny!

Mr. Jaded and I enjoy the show Two and a Half Men. The season finale last year or the year before had a whole bit about squab in it, and the actress who plays the mother was so funny with the way she said it. Now, we'll just look at each other and say "squaaaab" and it cracks us up!!

doodlebugmom said...

We have a hardware store in a neighboring town named "Gassers"

:o)

Sophia said...

I feel that if we forget to find the humor in everyday life than what is the point of living. As for the crazy department store in Houston it was a family store, Yes my family subjected me to the store in my youner years. I must admit that at work we do the same thing, we have a physician who always askes what were the patient's wital sign. It to me a while to figure out what he was asking for at the time. But now we simply ask each other for the wital signs and giggle (sad but true, nurse have a sick since of humor. So waft away

Lori said...

Ok - I am easily entertained too! And, I thought you had the word confused too just like the teacher making you smell her! LOL!

Here's one for you - town names in Arkansas that make me giggle when I drive through - Possum Grape, Goobertown, and yes, WEINER!!! I am NOT kidding! hee-hee! How would like to say "Hi. I am the mayor of Goobertown!" hA!

Lindsey said...

And that's precisely how you get through a long day teaching AND THEN an open house....love those dirty conversations!

Trina said...

I can relate! There are certain words that tickle my funny bone too. Actually, I giggle QUITE easily! That's what makes life fun, right?!

Nikky said...

I think it is wonderful to have something to amuse you... and if you can share it with others, then all the better!
Got me thinking about things that amuse me... I gave you a quiz, and you gave me the giggles... nice.