Monday, September 24, 2007

Lock Down

Our school went into lock down today. That basically means that you need to stay in your classroom and lock your doors. You also need to know where your kids are at all times. The whole lock down happened because a prisoner escaped from a local prison, killed a prison guard, took a hostage, and was considered armed and dangerous. I suppose this situation is bound to happen what with living in a town known for it's prison system. The whole situation was resolved by late this afternoon, but not without the death of at least one person and several people probably traumatized. Thankfully, the kids were blissfully unaware of what was happening outside of the school walls.

The world we live in is a scary one. In college, the professors don't teach you what to do when the angry student confronts you with a gun or what to do with the verbally abusive parent who thinks you can do no right in regards to his child. How to comfort the child that had no food last night and no one to tuck her in isn't a class you'll find in any course catalog. The strength and courage to put yourself on the line for a child that isn't yours is something that you must already have inside when you decide to become a teacher.

Even though I knew we were relatively safe inside our classroom and our day continued without upset, I couldn't help but think about what we'd do if for some reason we weren't completely safe. And I knew that I'd do whatever I could do to protect those sixteen babies in my classroom. One of my boys asked me later in the afternoon why we went into lock down. I told him that sometimes it is important to practice ways that teachers keep students safe. He replied with, "You'd keep me safe?" What else could I say? "Of course I'd do anything I could to keep you safe." Whatever that anything might be, I know that something inside of me would would allow me to do it without a second thought or a moment's hesitation. And that is kind of scary too.

11 comments:

Melissa said...

Oh my goodness - glad to know you and your charges were ok. And how fortunate for those kids, to have a teacher who cares as much as you do!

Becky said...

I heard about the escapee today on the news....immediately thought of you. Glad to hear that you and the kiddos are alright. Even more relieved to know that the school practices things like that. I have no idea in the event of any situation you would go into automatic mode - you wouldn't even think. With regards to the other situations with the kid who didn't eat and the upset parent, I think the only thing you can follow is your heart and your gut instinct.

Melissa said...

I just heard the report on my local news, and I realized that my cousin used to work for a TV station there when she was in college about 10-15 years ago. She was the weather girl, and she would talk about the prisoners writing her letters!

I know you're probably too young to remember, but her name was Heather Kramer (I think she did it before she got married, or her name would be Hendrick.)

Niners said...

Everytime I here about a school shooting, or some kind of an attack, I always think abut what I would do if I were those people in danger. I always thank God that I never have been, and hopefully never will be in any kind of dangerous situation. I would probably die of fear.

Lori said...

Amen!!!

Trina said...

Wow, how terrifying! Thank goodness it turned in out to be nothing. YIKES! I love how you called them your babies...too sweet!

Valerie said...

oy.
proof again that the "simple" days of our childhood and of our parent has gone the way of the nickle Coke and parental supervision. how sad.

Sophia said...

I am glad to hear that you and your kiddos are okay and that all went well. I know that being a teacher is more that teaching it is giving of yourself everday unconditionally. You are an example of what the perfect teacher is. Thank you for the wonderful job you do.

marykathryn said...

Wow that was quite the day!! So glad to see that your school was unharmed. You are so right about how bad this world is turing out to be..Scary!!

Lindsey said...

What a day! Glad to hear your kiddos were safe. It's so crazy out there...

smileymamaT said...

Whew. As a former teacher, I respect and understand how you can say that. As a mom of three precious school-age girls, I love you for saying that. Especially to the child who asked you.