Tuesday, September 11, 2007

One Tuesday Morning

It's hard to believe that it has been six years since the attack at the World Trade Center. Just this morning, I mentioned that fact to another teacher as I was writing the date on my white board. We both took a moment to remember and reflect about the effects of that day and then we had to get on with today. I know that sounds callus. And I'm sure there are many people that are still struggling to get on with today because they are mired down in the hurt and pain from that Tuesday morning six years ago.

I suppose that 9/11 was my generation's "you'll always remember where you were" event. I know that I won't ever forget. Despite it being a national tragedy, I was in the middle of my own personal crisis that day. My mom was in the hospital recovering from surgery that we weren't sure she'd pull through. My whole world had shrunk to me and how fast could I get back to the hospital to be with my mom. (I was in college and had classes each day...2 hours away.)

I remember waking up that morning (later than my friend Becky...my roomie at the time) and hearing something on the radio about an airplane accident in New York. Y'all know I don't watch much news (and I watched even less then) but I did turn on the T.V. and Becky and I were horrified to discover that it was a deliberate attack. Still not even sure what to think or feel we went on over to the dining hall for breakfast. Every T.V. in the room was tuned to some news station. I remember feeling like this was so unreal. I went on to class only to have our professor tell us to go home and watch the news...we were seeing history in the making. And that is exactly what we did...went home and watched the news.

Everyone has their own memories and thoughts about that day, but I think the important thing is that we remember.

5 comments:

Lori said...

Well said ~ the important thing is that we remember!!

Lindsey said...

Yes, and pray for the families that mourn every day. I think we will always remember, even if we didn't want to.

Anonymous said...

I know it is something that I will never, never forget!

Jacquie

Becky said...

Steff,
I remember walking the Student Center with you and seeing everyone glued to the TV sets. Talk about a day never will be forgotten. Guess it will be the "day" for our generation huh? Another memory we have from being roommates.

Melissa said...

I was nine months pregnant with Anna Marie, and I remember being glad that she wasn't born yet and I had several years to formulate a response when she asked me about the events of that day.

That, and eating cheese sticks at Sonic after work with my sister. It was nice to sit outside, drown my sorrows in melted, deep-fried mozzerella, and listen to the oldies playing instead of the news for a few minutes.