Monday, September 17, 2007

A Right Trial In The Kitchen Department

Remember a few weeks ago, my gracious neighbor put my new battery on my car in exchange for a batch of oatmeal raisin cookies? In theory that seemed so reasonable and easy to do. In actuality, well it was my usual kitchen disaster. Okay, perhaps the word disaster isn't quite right since the ultimate result was pretty sweet.

Saturday I picked out a recipe (www.foodtv.com was a huge help since oatmeal raisin cookies aren't in my recipe box) and checked to see what ingredients I'd need to buy. Yes, I picked the recipe that had the least ingredients...is that wrong? Anyway, after a quick trip to the local grocery store I had my oats and raisins and I was ready to go.

Along time ago, my mom taught me that you double check all ingredients and equipment before you start mixing to make sure that you have everything. Well, all I can say is thank goodness I checked. And that's when I discovered that I had the hand held part of the mixer but the beaters were mysteriously missing. How the heck am I supposed to cream the sugar and butter without the beaters?! This was almost enough to make me scrap the whole idea of cookies.

I didn't think I could put off this any longer...I mean I've been driving that car for several days and I figured he'd need some cookies soon too. So, I grabbed a whisk and decided I could cream anything if I beat it long enough. Off I started on those cookies. I was doing great until I came to the flour part of the recipe. I opened the canister and dipped in my measuring cup and came out with flour and some tiny moving things. What the heck? I'm not great in the kitchen but I'm pretty sure flour isn't enriched with bugs. I quickly dumped the whole canister of flour and took the trash out. Thankfully I had a bug free new bag of flour in the pantry.

At this point I was beginning to wonder if perhaps cookies were such a smart idea. No beaters and unexpected bugs (which my mom later clarified as weevils). But when you've got a bowl full of cinnamony oatmeal cookie batter you've got to follow through. I put in the first batch and prayed that they came out okay. Amazingly, the first batch came out and smelled pretty good. I let them cool and then gave them a taste test. They weren't bad so I kept baking.

Four batches later I had several dozen cookies cooled and ready to be delivered. I haven't heard anything back from him about the cookies but I didn't hear any ambulance sirens in the night either. I guess I shouldn't go on and on about what a bad cook I am (I mean I can cook) but it usually comes with some amusing story or the smoke alarm going off.

Now if you'll excuse me there is an oatmeal raisin cookie calling my name!

8 comments:

Lori said...

Hee-hee! I am laughing WITH you, not AT you!

Becky said...

Only you girl....but see? Cookies will prevail! There were cookies in the past that I have made that I thought NO one would eat....too hard for me, but nope lo and behold hubby and his best friend still ate them like they were going out of style. Too funny! Would have loved to have been a fly on the wall when you were starting this adventure though. :)

Valerie said...

yum! i likey oatmeal raisin!

dang it sounds like some of my horrible cooking disasters!

Nikky said...

hmmm, how are you at vanilla chip cookies? Have you ever considered starting an online bakery.. could make for some great funny blogging and some profits, too!

Trina said...

Ummmmm....excuse me, but I think some of those cookies are calling MY name!! At least you caught the weevils before you put it in the mix! whew!

Melissa said...

I do the same thing when I look at a recipe - find the one with the fewest ingredients, or at least the fewest that I don't already have on hand!

I bet those cookies were delicious!

marykathryn said...

So funny!! I too found weevils in my flour the other..crazy!! Btw..I also scroll down to find the one w/ the least amount of ingredients!! LOL

*~Annette~* said...

I love www.allrecipes.com for those hard to find recipes!