Thursday, September 20, 2007

Use Kind Words

At our school we model and encourage everyone to be friends. More importantly we use the term friend instead of classmate. For example, I remind the kids daily that we have to walk quietly in the hall because we don't want to disturb our other friends in another class. It really helps build that sense of community and friendship. Lately, I've been having to remind my students daily to use nice kind words with their friends. And that is a little troubling.

Then I realized that lately I'm having to remember to use kind words with a friend of mine. And that's even more troubling.

Remember when everyone was your friend and your world basically crashed when the hurtful words "I'm not gonna be your friend anymore!" were tossed out? I've been on both sides (though mostly in my younger days) and I think it hurts all the way around. With my kids, I can remind them that it hurts when we hear that (even if we don't really mean it) and that we need to treat people the way we would want to be treated. As grown-ups it's a little more complicated.

What do you do when you treat someone (insert friend's name here) the way you'd like to be treated and his/her response is nothing? I really think it's a fine line between getting one's panties in a wad over nothing and truly having the right to be upset. And right now I'm not sure which side of the line I'm on. That is a frustrating place to be.

This isn't something I'm proud to admit and it's cost me a few friendships through the years but I'm the type that would rather shut down and walk away rather than confront someone about how they feel about a friendship with me. I remember this one friend, Trisha, in middle school. (I know...middle school...we're so mature about things at that age but just go with it.) She was really nice and friendly to me and others in our circle and then suddenly she just stopped talking to me. She'd say hi in the hallway, but that was it. I didn't have the courage to flat out ask if I'd done something or if she didn't want to be my friend anymore. I didn't want to hear the answer if it was yes. So, I stopped talking to her and the friendship simply faded. I still don't know if it was because I'd done something or not...I never did ask.

Unfortunately, I'm still that way in friendships and now that I'm older relationships. I'd rather break ties first than be the one left. And instead of having a huge blow up I simply keep silent and back away. That sounds pretty pathetic huh?

Anyway, I don't know if this post was just a ramble or if I have a point I'm trying to make. I just know that I have a friend (at least that is how I think of our relationship) and I'm kind of tired of trying to reach out to come back with nothing. I don't like not knowing where I stand. I don't like not having control over this situation.

I miss my friend.

9 comments:

Becky said...

Steffany,
Check your email when you get a chance! - Becky

Steff said...

Becky: No worries girl...absolutely no worries!

smileymamaT said...

Ick, that is a sad, hollow feeling, isn't it. Is this a very longtime friend? This person may simply be clueless to emotional language...or may have something very troubling happening at home. Maybe ask her/him if there is anything they want to talk about? At least you may feel better after....or maybe you just connect better with other people, and so be it....good luck!
T

Valerie said...

i so get it. matter of fact, it happened to me just 10 years ago..(i know, half a lifetime!) a chick i thought was a dear friend actually told me she thought something was wrong with me because i didn't want to discuss every freaking detail of my relationship with the now Husband. (she like to tell EVERYTHING.) so, it just disappeared.

the old saw is still true: if you love something set it free, if it comes back, it's yours to keep. if it doesn't, it was never meant to be.

hugs, girlie.

*~Annette~* said...

yep. My problem is that I'm honest to a fault. You want to know how I feel? Just ask. I believe that you can't fix it if you don't know. So, I'm all about just asking... hey, why are you ticked at me?

I know. I'm abrasive that way.

Steff said...

T: It's isn't a long long-time friend so I don't know if I'm just over-reacting or what. It'll work itself out one way or the other.

Valerie: Thanks for getting it!

Annette: Maybe I need some of that abrasiveness! Hey sorry to see that Chicken was the first voted off...sucks.

Lori said...

Ok - friendship shouldn't be work! And sometimes we have to 'weed' our garden of friends. Don't beat yourself up over it ~ you've done everything you can. The ball is in her court.
Just my opinion!

Anonymous said...

Well I know, for sure, it is not me b/c you can't get rid of me! Go ahead and give it your best shot. I will just give you a big ole hug just like I always do. :)

Niners said...

I hope this friend isn't me. Don't worry too much, everything will work out, and if it doesn't, then maybe you two aren't meant to be really close friends. To me, friends are family, so I when things happen between me and a friend, I get emotional about it. Go shopping, that always makes me feel better, and also, a big bowl if ice cream.