Tuesday, October 09, 2007

Travel Buds

Quick birthday update: The actual day was great! Both my aunts sent presents too, so over all I raked in the goods. I got three complete sets of outfits (which can be interchanged so it's even more outfits actually), a great ring with different stones I can put in, a new hairdryer, Halloween scrapbooking kit, the scrapbook journaler's handbook, and a neat zipper pull that my mom made. Plus, I had a really great visiting with my parents. Thanks for all the birthday wishes everyone!

Now, about this travel buds business. As you probably know, or should be able to guess if you've been reading long, I love to travel. This year I broadened my horizons by getting a passport and going to Mexico on a cruise. Those horizons will expand even more next year when I travel to Jordan. One of my really good friends is going to Jordan for a year-long missionary trip and has invited me to come and visit. I'm already excited!

But, I've got a little problem in the meantime. What about all those mini vacation trips I want to take around the USA? I was thinking today that I'd love to visit Niagara Falls, Yellowstone, take a bed and breakfast tour of New England, go to Alaska. Can I go alone on a vacation?

I mean, I don't have to ask permission to take a trip, but I've never been totally alone on a trip before. I have to admit that the idea appeals to me. I'm a planner and usually want to do the touristy things the first time I visit a place. My last few fellow vacationers have been more fly-by-the-seat-of-her-pants type of travelers. I'm sure I made them nutty more than once! Plus, if I'm traveling alone, I'm not restricted by anyone else's budget or schedule.

Of course, being alone means I'm...well alone. What if I get lost (a distinct possibility given my map reading skills)? Who will take the pictures of me with all those sights?

The travel bug has me itching to plan a trip somewhere and to do something. But who to ask? Maybe I should take applications...up for travel? Apply below in the comments! Seriously, if you travel alone tell me about it. If you only travel with a bud tell me about that.

I'm ready to pack my bags and go....somewhere!

8 comments:

Becky said...

Steff, I would love to go travelling with you....I could probably only go to US trips right now. All the trips I have ever been on, I have been with someone. Never been by myself. I am sure you would be fine either way....I would love to go to all the great antiquing places on the east coast, see all the wonderful fall colors! Oh I want to go somewhere NOW!! Jordan?!? WOW!! When will you be going? Talk about an experience. I have never known anyone to travel there.

Niners said...

Well you know I like to travel, but I just never have the money to do it, and I never have anyone to go with. I guess if I knew I was going somewhere with someone, I would be motivated to save money and go somewhere. I would love to go somewhere this summer, so I guess I should start saving money now. On the shopping note, I don't know why I never shop for clothes when you're in town. Next time I am on the hunt for an article of clothing, I will give you a call, or when I win the lottery, I will call you to tag along on the biggest shopping spree ever, who knows, I may even buy you something.

Lori said...

Go on a close to home weekend trip first by yourself and see if you like it or not. Then, it isn't expensive and you can drive home if you don't like it...I would love to meet up with you on a trip, but I am so broke right now, I don't know when I'll be traveling again! It may be summer...

Sophia said...

How exciting for you. I love the fact that you are pursuing your passion. I think traveling alone would be fun if you have it planned out. As for the pics get a tripod and set the timer on your camera. Those places sound so cool that I am jealous. I am saving all of my money for my childs travels. (she goes more places than me)

Melissa said...

I've traveled by myself, but only too and from somewhere (like college - home, a 500 mile trip, or, after I got married, South Carolina - home, about a 550 mile trip). I'd LOVE to go on a trip by myself - I'm such a loner!

My sister, though, went to England all by herself last year. For two weeks. By herself! I was very nervous the whole time she was gone, but she had a good time. I think she liked getting to be by herself, but I think she also would've liked to have someone to share the experience with some of the time.

I think you'd have a great time going on a trip alone. Try something small first, to see how it feels, then go for it!

Nikky said...

I flew from Minneapolis to Budapest Hungary by myself... once I got there, I met up with the hubby but the actual travel (and layover in Amsterdam) was ALL ME... It was a little scary, but very exciting. Other than that, I think I'd rather travel with someone. Of course, I say that, I've never actually had a full 'vacation' alone either, I may just be completely oblivious to what a wonderful time I'm missing out on. Well, see, just now, I realized that my week in Grand Forks was alone... but who vacations in North Dakota, really? That so DOES NOT count!

Anonymous said...

I think you should do what feels right to you. I enjoy traveling by myself and do that more than not. My hubby isn't into traveling so much! I've gone to Chicago, Georgia, and Alabama. Timetables are great! You don't have to worry about answering to anyone! As for pics, you grab someone and ask them to take a pic of you.

Another idea is to travel to places where you know someone lives. That way, you can meet, probably have a great time and have some time to yourself all at the same time.

For instance, you know if you came this way, Valerie and I would have a ball with ya!

Jacquie

Anonymous said...

Ok, I know I was one of the "fly by the seat of the pants girls" but I really enjoyed traveling with you...and am looking forward to our next trip!!! I'm thinking spring break....what do you think??