Saturday, October 06, 2007

Fair On The Square Pretties

Sorry, to have just rushed away in that last post, but my parents had just driven up and I got excited! I hadn't seen them since July so I was ready. We're having a wonderful visit so far. Yesterday, we drove into Houston to see my cousin's new apartment and celebrate (though a little belated!) her birthday. I even baked her a spice cake (her favorite) for the occassion. Unfortunately, I didn't inherit my Mimi's cake decorating skills (or much else of her cooking skills) but Amanda assured me that the cake was yummy!

Today was the 33rd annual Fair on the Square in my little town. It always falls on the first weekend in October which is usually right around my birthday. It's basically a huge arts and crafts show set up around the courthouse. I love arts and crafts shows. How wonderfully thoughtful of Huntsville to decide to hold something I love right around my birthday!

My mom assures me that my birthday is the reason that they come and visit, but I know that she enjoys Fair on the Square as much as I do! Today turned out to be a good day for the whole event. It rained early this morning so it was sort of cool and there was a nice breeze. We got a great parking spot and while there were a lot of people it wasn't terribly crowded like last year. Most of the booths are the same year to year, but I found a few things I just couldn't live without!


If you couldn't tell I have a thing for apples! My kitchen is decorated in shades of lime, red, blue, and apples. I thought this oven hanging towel was so pretty. I especially love the little bushel of apples at the top. You can't tell from this picture but there is a lemon yogurt bread baking behind that pretty towel. (I'm experimenting and it smells delicious! How many wish you were on my Chirstmas baking list now?!)


I also found this sweet nativity. I have a thing for those too! Some people collect snowmen or Santas, but I love to collect nativities. I usually get two to three new ones each year. I found this one and thought it was an unique twist on the whole nativity scene. I love it!

The time goes so quickly when my parents are here, but we're trying to make the most of it. Tonight my dad and I are going to a college football game. That used to be our "daddy-daughter date night" thing when I was in high school. He'd take me to all the home games. These days I don't get to spend nearly enough time with him so this is a nice way to catch up. Tomorrow we might drive out by the lake...who knows...well after presents of course!

Thank you for all the wonderful birthday wishes! Sometmes I go over board (or as my mom says, "You just need to grow up!") with talking about and celebrating my birthday, but I can't help it. She who has the most birthdays lives the longest!

8 comments:

Lori said...

Good thing you like apples since you are a teacher! ha!

I love going to things like that in the fall ~ enjoy your parents visit!!

Anonymous said...

I hope you and the 'rents have the bestest time!

That's good to know about the apples. I always enjoy finding things for ppl, therefore if I find a cool apple 'something' I'll pick it up and can send your way. Has to be interesting though to pass muster with me!

LOL

Oh, I'm NOT on your Christmas baking list? Darn it!

Jaq

doodlebugmom said...

Happy Birthday! I love the little Holy Night thing. I always avoid craft shows, they are bad for my budget.

Linda

Becky said...

I love the craft shows!! So jealous! I haven't been able to go to one this fall. I missed the Holiday Happening in Lubbock...oh well, I think there is going to be something going on at the Arlington Convention Center the first part of November. Watch for your bday box this week!! Love your apples motif...I knew your house would be SO cute! Hubby, his friend and I are going to the State Fair today, maybe I can find some cute crafty things I can't live without. Again happy birthday to you!!

Valerie said...

what's wrong with celebrating you? let's face it, people are human and can forget or not make it as special as we want.

heck, if i had my way, i'd plan my birthday every.dang.year. i'm a much better party planner than my Husband!

Sophia said...

I am glad you had a good visit with your parents and the craft show didn't break your wallet. The finds were amazing. I am happy to know these things about you for our g-exchange

Nikky said...

I LOVE those towels, I have them hanging from my oven doors, and drawer pulls all over my kitchen, everything from grapes to cows to (yes) even apples. I don't have a theme in my kitchen, it's just sort of a hodgepodge of what I like "right now"

And you deserve to make a big whoopti-doo about your birthday, we all should!

Steff said...

Lori: I've never thought about apples that way before! Haha.

Diva: Aww how sweet that you'd buy me a pretty! I'll definitely add you to my baking list...just email me your address. :)

Linda: Oh, they are usually bad for my budget too, but I can't help myself!

Becky: I got my box today! Thank you so much...I love it all. You went overboard though! I can't decide what my favorite thing is because I love it all. :)

Valerie: Nothing wrong with celebrating your birthday. I've always believed that you should celebrate being around for another year. Life is to short for anything else!

Sophia: Yea!! So happy to see you in comments again. Miss you :)

Nikky: Well, I'm all about the apples right now!