Saturday, December 08, 2007

Bits And Pieces

Though I should really call this post "It Is All Lori's Fault!". I'm going to fill you in on all the little things that prompted the post below, but I thought I'd start with the big things first. So, again it is all Lori's fault! A few weeks ago, she was posting about having snake troubles at her house. I left a comment jokingly saying that I was going to have to stop reading her blog because I was scared this might somehow become something at my house. (Side note: Lori and I are surprisingly alike in a lot of ways so I figured it was only natural!) So, anyone making a guess about what I'm fixing to relate?! Let's all say it together...it is all Lori's fault! Yes, dear readers, I had an experience with a snake.

I usually work late on Fridays at school unless I have plans. I like getting settled for the next week without having to wag all that stuff home. Well, I didn't make it home until close to 7pm. It was already getting dark, but thankfully the porch light came on when I pulled up. (I just replaced the motion censor bulb...thank heavens!) I was busy looking for my keys as I started up the porch steps when I felt (yes...it slithered over my foot!) something go over the toe of my shoe (which were the full coverage running shoe type) and then I heard the slither sound. I continued up the steps thinking it was a lizard. I've had those before remember? Anyway, I turned to look because I was still hearing the slither. That is when I saw it. I stopped and just stared. I didn't scream except in my head. It stopped and tried to blend in with some leaves. I left it down there and hurried on into my house...where I promptly went hysterical.

I called my mom and reached her voicemail. I'm sure the message I left will be quite funny at some later point! Anyway, then I did the mad search of my house to make sure there weren't any in my house. As I flung back the shower curtain, cautiously peeked under the toilet lid, and felt up the foot of my bed I kept telling myself that there is no way that snakes can get into my house. Now before you try to educate me, I'd like to just say that I prefer ignorance people! My mom already explained the awful truth but let me just be blissfully ignorant okay?!

I've already peeked out on the porch and can't see anything amiss, but I can tell you that it will be a quick hop off the bottom step and run to my car when I go out later! Compared to that experience the rest of the week has been a piece of cake.

At work, our team had decided to do secret Santas instead of getting everyone on the team a present. I loved the idea! There is something about a lot of little holiday happiness gifts along the way. Anyway, our campus decided to do this too. I'm a giver so what can I say, I signed up for that one too! It probably isn't a secret but there is a small group of ladies at work that really work over my nerves and I had been hoping that I wouldn't draw one of their names. Wouldn't you know I did. I decided that God probably had a hand in that pick. I know that you can give without wanting to, but you lack that good feeling when you do. So, I decided to focus on the fact that I do enjoy giving and I'm going to proceed with holiday spirit. It also doesn't hurt that my secret Santa is fabulous! I've gotten two gifts this week that have been perfect (purple pens and a cooking magazine) and I had a thought that what if one of those ladies is being Santa for me. They are doing a great job and perhaps this is the season to just let those frustrations go. If you only knew how big of a decision that is for me...I'm not a let-it-go kind of girl by nature. So, it is true. Giving with a joyful heart feels pretty darn good!

Isn't it funny how you have the whole month of December to fill with holiday events, but they all seem to culminate in one week?! Here is what my calendar looks like for next week:
Monday: Wrap Bunco gifts (I'm the hostess this month...seriously what was I thinking when I agreed to that!)
Tuesday: Take off the afternoon to cook the meal for Bunco (another hostess responsibility) and get everything taken to Bunco location and set up.
Wednesday: Staff development (which probably means more work dumped in my lap if I go by previous staff development days)
Thursday: Christmas concert
Friday: Work Christmas party (except without the happy hour out with the girls unlike last year. It made it more fun, but I'm sure it played a part in myself getting up for the Christmas carol singing game...)
Saturday: Another Christmas concert and then a sleepover in Houston

Throw in some holiday baking and present wrapping and the week is incredibly full. I've felt a little bad because I haven't been reading and commenting like I normally do, but it seems like everyone is busy this time of year. Last night I made the commenting rounds and I'm glad to read that most of you are enjoying the holiday season! As crazy as this time of year is, it is still one of my absolute favorites!

12 comments:

Lori said...

OMG!! It slithered over your foot!!!! I would have passed out! I am so sorry that I brought this on for you! ha!
I did get a good chuckle out of it though - I could just picture you looking everywhere in the house for another snake. I probably would've done the same AFTER I stopped screaming!

Have a snake free holiday week! So...is it a myth that these snakes actually hibernate?? ha!

Melissa said...

Eww! A snake! I don't know if I would've been able to sleep that night!

*~Annette~* said...

BWAHAHAHA!! I've fully corrupted all of you with Bunco. HA HA HA !!!

As for the snakes... I saw one once in my garage. Screamed bloody murder. Which is shameful because I worked at Reptile Gardens in SD. I should have known better. But I wouldn't go into the garage for months after that.

Valerie said...

i had a mouse run over my foot, back in high school. i was on the phone with my girlfriend, barefoot as usual, moving a box of oatmeal with it. scared the mouse, scared me. i screamed. my friend got pissed later because she thought someone had broken in and was trying to steal my questionable virtue.

Steff said...

Lori: Okay maybe not completely over my foot but at least some of it was on my foot. So my mom says that they hibernate. I guess that it is still too warm for them to get to sleep. I've decided that I'm going to freeze my house to make it as unwelcoming as possible!

Melissa: Someone else said that to me today too. But, I was able to sleep fine. I guess I had this it was outside and I'm inside mentality so I was okay!

Annette: I really thought I would scream too, but I didn't. Too weird!

Valerie: Anything that slithers or crawls should stay away from me! Let me just say again for anyone interested....I HATE wildlife.

Becky said...

OH MY GOSH!!!!!!!!!!!! Never in a million years...I am so glad that you were more calm than I could have been. I never would have - I would have screamed and jumped and probably made it mad. I don't even know if I would have left the house today. Your Xmas planning and plans sound great - talk about busy!!

Lindsey said...

It is such a busy time but it's such a great time. I love all the wrapping and giving and snow if you have it, and all the get-togethers and just general good spirits people are in. Love it! Have a fun busy week! No snakes please!

Steff said...

Becky: It was definitely something I never want to experience again!

Lindsey: I completely agree! It is crazy, but I love it all...even when it is running me ragged. :)

Ashlie said...

Hi! I found your blog from Becky's. I can't remember if I've ever commented before but I just love your blog! So sorry to hear about the snake! Ick! Hope your Christmas is wonderful!

Steff said...

Ashlie: Thanks for stopping by! I'm cautious when I step of the final step, but I'm pretty much past it. Yea for me!

Anonymous said...

Snake wouldn't bother me, now a large spider or a rodent would totally set me off!

Jacquie

Tan said...

I just want to say: IT'S LORI'S FAULT!! haha I remember reading about Lori's snake adventure!