Sunday, November 18, 2007

The Review...Picture Style


The other morning I started out the door to be greeted by this sight. I had a little "friend" trapped inside the screen on my front door. Thankfully I was on the glass side. I'm not sure exactly how he go in there, but he obviously found his way out because he wasn't there when I got home. Thankfully!


Thanks for all the words of luck on the whole paper making project! That whole day was crazy. I have fifteen kids in my class and one teacher was out (without a sub) so we had to split her class. There were five extra kids in my classroom that day too. If you're a teacher you probably know the difference one new child can make so you'll appreciate the fact that I had five extra! Anyway, I called the kids back in small groups and helped them press it through the screen. It was pretty messy, but the kids seemed to love it! And in the end, that is all that matters. They were pretty excited on Friday to actually see it dried and be able to take it home. This was the paper mush (it was soupy, cold, and kind of smelled). I was happy to dump it out Thursday afternoon!


I had my hands full just getting the kids to make their paper and lay it on the towels that I didn't bring out the camera, but this is what my trial run piece of paper looked like. It was a little thick at the bottom (paper after my own heart!) but it is paper nonetheless!


Yesterday, a bunch of friends and I went to the Texas Renaissance Festival. It was fun! It was pretty much like stepping back into another time. I wore jeans and a long sleeve t-shirt, but there were many there dressed in costume. I suppose they wanted to really get into the spirit of the day. Costumes ranged from the royality garb to a thong and much too small bra with chain metal hanging off it. Anyway, there were many shows to enjoy. My favorite was the jousting. Even if it is fake and the winner predetermined it was still fun! We happened to be sitting in England's section and guess what? Sir Thomas won!


Another show we saw was the Washer Women. It was pretty funny too. I loved this sign...made me think of my own laundry. Though I'd never say that laundry was fun clean or otherwise!

6 comments:

Edtime Stories said...

that sign is a double entrendre??????

Steff said...

Ed: I think it is just a sign about laundry. ; )

Lori said...

I hate it when they split classes! Totally throws your whole day out of whack!

Steff said...

Lori: I hate it too, but it happens. I try to just go with the flow. What else can you do?!

Anonymous said...

I know so many ppl that go to these faires and have the best time dressing up. I should try one sometime.

Glad the experiment seemed to go well and they liked it. I knew you'd do fine!

Jacquie

Trina said...

My boys would be all over that project! I think we would have to do it outside or in the garage though. Great idea, even if it was a LOT of work...hehehe