Wednesday, November 14, 2007

Disaster In The Making

It isn't often that you know when disaster will be striking. I mean, who would want to know right?! Well, I know. It's happening tomorrow. Intrigued?

It all started on Monday. See, we're learning about natural resources this week in Science. I'm teaching these kiddos to appreciate and conserve things like soil, water, plants, air....those kind of things. I also happen to be one of those teachers that think Science is best hands on. I think this might be the start of the disaster.

Well, in the teacher's edition, there was this seemly simple six step "recipe" for making paper. It involves newspaper strips, big tub of water, and window screening. Well, I got the newspaper torn into strips Tuesday afternoon (fully expecting that the book was right and the mushing process would only take "a few hours") so we'd be ready to go this morning. Not long after I put the water into the tub I noticed a big water puddle on the table. What the heck? My big tub leaks? See, I'd like to think that an experienced teacher would say, "This is the sign of something not going right. Let's just scrap this idea."

My solution was to stick some rags under the tub and let it set overnight. I really thought it was just dripping from where I'd had it in the sink. Oh who am I kidding?! If I'd really thought that I wouldn't have put rags under it. Dang it I really wanted to make paper! Well, this morning I came in and all those rags were soaked, but more importantly...my paper was NOT mush. Those strips of newspaper were supposed to be disintegrated into paper "mush" pulp. I had wet newspaper strips. Did I mention that I do Science first thing in the morning?

So, I quickly came up with the idea of having a teachable moment and letting the kids know that sometimes things do not go as planned when doing experiments. And, I told them that they could help me speed up the process. I let them all get their hands deep into that wet newspaper and mulch it up. They loved it! The best part is that all that squishing pretty much turned it into gray mush. It appeared that my experiment was back on track.

This afternoon I went ahead and cut the window screening into pieces. The theory is to dip this screening into the mush and then press the water out leaving a thin layer of mush to dry and turn into paper. Learning from yesterday's little opps, I decided to try out this dipping thing. Well, good thing I did. First, this mush stuff is pretty darn soupy. And it's not exactly thin either...more lumpy. There is no way the kids are going to be able to press out all the water. Trying to salvage this, I folded the screen up and wrung it out. This worked...sorta. I'm kidding myself. This is going to be an absolute mess.

Right now, I'm thinking that instead of them each getting to make a sheet of paper we'll do some sort of table group thing. That way we only have to go through this process five times instead of 15 times. Did I mention that I only have 30 minutes to finish this up tomorrow morning? Oh, and when I thought it would be an awesome learning experience I invited the principal to come and see? And one other thing...my evaluation is due any day now.

Yep, disaster. Tomorrow morning. 8:00am. Wish me luck!

10 comments:

Lindsey said...

Goooood luck Steff!! Those things always happen when someone is watching:) It will be fine!! Lovin those teaching moments!

Becky said...

I think you will do better than you think!! GOOD LUCK!! Just rememer - no matter what happens, do it with a smile and the kids won't know the difference. I remember doing the newspaper experiment when I was little....never would have thought newspaper could turn into a disaster. Oh well!! We all live and learn - good luck again!!

Anonymous said...

Good luck. If it works, it sounds like a blast!

I find the same things happen with Girl Scouts. We come up with this great idea and have it all thought out, but it NEVER turns out like it does in our minds.

Oh well, live and learn is right!

Jacquie

Edtime Stories said...

hope the eval goes well.

Making paper is fun, but I am not sure how you messed it up?

Jaded said...

Yikes!! I hope it all went well! Keep us posted...

doodlebugmom said...

And if nothing else, they will learn that things don't always turn out as we expect =)

Lori said...

I didn't get to read this in time BUT we did this in science lab & we put the torn paper in water in a blender and mixed it up...it worked great. Hope you found a solution..wish I read sooner!!

Wish me luck with plaster of paris science experiment tomorrow! ha!

*~Annette~* said...

Bwahahaa!! Those things sometimes just don't go well, do they? But it is fun, no matter what!

Lori said...

Ok ... well, my plaster of paris bombed today if that helps! LOL!

smileymamaT said...

Uh-oh my kids did this at a science museum once and they had to let the screens sit for about 5 hours and pick them up after....came out lumpy but cool...so, what happened?????