Monday, November 12, 2007

With A Thankful Heart

It is hard to believe, but there are only six school days left before the Thanksgiving holiday. I'm happy about that fact because first, it's a holiday and second, I'll get to spend several days with my family, and third, cornbread dressing and cranberry sauce. Also, I put up all the Christmas decorations that weekend too. It is hard for me to keep that excitement to a minimum! Anyway, since Thanksgiving is literally around the corner, I thought I'd take some time and reflect on some of the many things I'm thankful for in my life.

Family
I love my family...every last nutty one of them! Being an only child, I've always been close to my parents. Every memory I have of them is wrapped up in love. As I've gotten older I've come to appreciate more and more the wings my parents gave me. I know that my parents will support me (though not always the decision I'm making) and love me no matter what. That kind of love and support has allowed me to grow and find my own place in the world. For that I'll always be thankful. I know I don't say it enough, but I feel it all the same. I love my family!

Friends
This is a pretty corny saying, but friends really are the family you choose for yourself. (And y'all know how I feel about family!) I've always made friends easily. Along the way, I've discovered that those friendships most precious to me require the most work. That work has resulted in many long lasting friendships. I'm lucky to still have friendships with girls I met in Brownies in the first grade. I've also learned to appreciate the different aspects of friendships. There are those friendships made the "old fashion" way (like those from school or with co-workers) and then there are you guys...the "new fashion" way! If friends really are the family you pick for yourself then I've done some pretty darn good pickin'!

My Passport
I love pulling that little blue book out of the desk drawer and knowing that there are all sorts of possibilities there. I know the travel bug was partially passed from my parents, but they'd laugh at that! They loved to take day trips...no plan no certain destination in mind. I'd grab my pillow, a book, and music and grudgingly get in the backseat. Who would have thought that girl would grow up to want to explore everything in the world?! It is only fair to say that I still hate that "by the seat of your pants" kind of travel, but the going, seeing, and doing runs deep in my veins. For that sense of exploration, I'm grateful!

That Flaky Boss
In the short years that I've been part of the working set, I've only had two bosses that were major flakes. Don't get me wrong...you can love that flake but working for her is the pits. I'm not sure I'd use love to describe my current one, but I'm thankful for her all the same. Some days I can't see it, but I'm learning patience and perfecting the art of working with others. I've discovered that I'm not perfect (well which I already knew) but no one else is either. I'm sure somewhere down the road I'll appreciate the easy boss because I've learned to deal in a mature manner with the one that isn't so easy. The whole give and take is a growing thing for me. And growing is always a good thing, right?!

This 1970s Mobile Home
When I thought about my "first place" I never exactly envisioned this place. It's had its share of fixer upper moments but that has caused me to appreciate all the days when nothing goes wrong. And well all those times when wild life comes in for a visit have taught me that I can handle killing my own bugs. I don't like it and I still wish my daddy was close enough to yell for, but at least I don't scream and want to jump on the nearest piece of furniture. I've had a lot of good memories in this old place. I know I'll take them all with me when I moved to that place I have been envisioning!

The Crush
Oh the crush...if he only knew, right?! I enjoy that little something that happens when I think about him. It's still sweet and good. Anyway, though he probably doesn't have a clue I'm thankful for him. He helps me remember that you never know the possibilities that life will toss at you. Sometimes you just have to be brave and decide something is worth the effort...even if in the end it isn't how you thought it would be. Self, be brave!

Sudden Link
I know I know...y'all are rolling your eyes. Only I would be thankful for the cable company right?! Sometimes you just have to be thankful for the simple pleasures. Curling up on my bed or the love seat and watching something on TV is one of my favorite simple pleasures. Comfy pajamas, Sonic commercials, and the remote...what isn't to be thankful for?!

The list could go on for a very long time. I've been truly and well blessed in my life. So, I'm looking forward to this time of year with a thankful heart. A very thankful heart!

7 comments:

Nikky said...

One of these days I will have to post a "what I'm thankful for" post, thanks for the inspiration... and hey, be brave, DO SOMETHING about that crush!!

Be Inspired Always said...

Great post :)



Jillian

Anonymous said...

Oh My GOSH!!! I was flacky boss #2 wasn't I? Ack....

Wonderful list Steffany. I hope you have a WONDERFUL Thanksgiving.

Steff said...

Nikky: I love these kinds of things too! And I know...but I'm not feeling so brave these days.

Jillian: Thanks for dropping by! I hope you enjoyed the visit. :)

Bethany: Well...at least you're the one I like! :) Also, I got your package today. Thank you!

Lori said...

A great list!!!! I need to do one of those! I love that you don't take your family for granted.

Anonymous said...

What a great blog entry! I love coming to your blog when I'm feeling down; you can always perk me right back up!

Jacquie

Steff said...

Lori: Sometimes I do and it is things like this that remind me how much I love them and I need to take care to tell them so!

Jacquie: That is one of the sweetest things to say. Thank you!