Tuesday, November 20, 2007

Happy Thanksgiving!

The holiday has officially started! I'm very much looking forward to going and visiting with family. After sleeping late, making my famous pineapple pepper cheese ball (seriously y'all...it's wonderful!), and packing I'm heading out. Everyone on my mom's side of the family will be there for the holiday. That is pretty amazing that all of us can still get together and bond over food and multiple games of hand and foot. When I talked to my mom this weekend, she told me to be sure and bring some of those plastic leftover containers. I love that!

Sounds crazy I know, but leftover containers mean that there will be leftovers. I'm hoping for extra dressing. In our family, dressing is an art. Those dried mini squares that come in a box are not dressing. Like I said, dressing is an art. I wonder if it is a Southern thing? Anyway, dressing is what I'm hoping to bring home! Even if there isn't any left, there will still be a bunch of leftovers to choose from. Now I know this will sound twisted, but I love that we're going to have leftovers. I love that we know we're going to have leftovers.

Those leftovers mean that we didn't have just enough. It means that we had more than enough. A lot of families out there don't have enough...food, time, love. Just today one of my little kids at school told me that her lights went off last night and wouldn't come back on. Then she told me that her daddy said they were going to have to start sleeping at her grandmother's house. My heart broke for her and her family. I've been really blessed in my life. I try very hard not to take that for granted, but it is stories like that which really cause me to stop and count each and every blessing in my life. Even the small ones.

So, to all my friends (the here-in-the-real-world ones and the blog sphere ones) I hope you have many many leftovers this holiday!

8 comments:

Lindsey said...

Thanks Steff!! Happy Thanksgiving!!!

Bunny said...

Hope you have a wonderful Thanksgiving! We actually make EXTRA dressing, so we are sure to have leftovers - we like it that much!

Your students' story is a heartbreaker and a wonderful reminder to us all to be thankful for what we have and to share our blessings with others.

Happy Thanksgiving!

Lori said...

Thanks girl! Have a safe trip!! I heart dressing too! Ha!

Anonymous said...

Happy Thanksgiving, Steff!
benb

*~Annette~* said...

Funny! I just posted about the plethora of food I made at my house, too! Hope you get lots of leftovers. And yes. Dressing is an ART!

Jaded said...

Well, we call it stuffing, but it's my favorite part, too. And since I cooked, it's exactly how I like it!

Not only do we have left-overs, but we're going to a "Day after" party tomorrow at our friend's house. Everyone has to bring some left overs to share. I'm making a turkey pot pie with stuffing as the top crust. I'm also making 2 more pot pies... one for us to freeze, and one for another friend of mine.

I hope your day was as exciting as you hoped it would be!

Mike Stewart said...

Hope you had a great holiday darlin'!

Mike the HOG

Anonymous said...

Hope you had a great day!

Jaq