Monday, December 17, 2007

Grown Up Reading

This weekend was a busy one and somewhere along the way I think my body said, "Enough!". I woke up this morning (though seriously is 2am really the morning or the dead of night...anyway) feeling pretty sick at my stomach, congested, and I was running a fever. I think the snot running down my throat was causing the upset stomach. That part is feeling much better now that I've put some toast in there too. So far the fever hasn't let up. Hopefully, the Advil will kick that in the butt ASAP. This is not the week for me to miss school.

Normally I give one of the other teachers a really hard time because she is constantly worrying over her class when she it out. And she's been out a lot this half of the year. Anyway, when I'm out I usually know ahead of time. I leave detailed plans and make sure everything is ready so I feel okay knowing that my kids are in good hands. Well, today that didn't happen. I wasn't planning on being gone so my desk is a mess and there are no plans. I've thought about my kids a bunch this morning. I hope they are fairing okay!

As for me, I'm resting (well, along with doing a little Christmas wrapping and laundry) and reading. Which brings me to the title of my post. If you read any meme that I've done you know that I really enjoy settling down with a romance book. They are pretty predictable and probably don't resemble real life in any way, but I still enjoy them. Lately, I've thought that maybe I should read a little more grown-up material. You know...a novel versus a romance story.

So, in this spirit I picked up a new book this weekend. I bought gods in Alabama by Joshilyn Jackson. So far it has been a surprisingly good read. The heroine is dealing with addictions, trying to keep secrets buried, and realizing the power of facing the demons and being free. I can oddly identify with her. Finding a connection with characters in a story is the major part of what makes a book good right?! Anyway, my goal is to read one "grown-up" book a month (there is no way I can completely go cold turkey from romance) and do a sort of book blurb in my sidebar under the what is on my nightstand section. And if you are in the mood for a good romance check out the one that is already over there. It is one of my absolute favorites!

Happy reading!

1 comment:

Tan said...

Ooooh...a breakfast of snot and toast. Sounds like something that might have come from MY kitchen! LOL Hope you're feeling better soon!