Saturday, April 12, 2008

The Bluebonnet Festival

I've been hearing about the funky weather across the country, but today was a beautiful day in Texas! It was perfect for heading out to a Bluebonnet Festival. Bluebonnets the flowers...not the butter. (Somebody will understand that!) My friend Tracy and I headed out around noon for a lazy jaunt through the country. We were on the hunt for these...bluebonnets.


Unfortunately, while we saw patches of flowers, they seemed to be past their peak. Some spots were vibrant blues and purples and in huge chunks. For the most part though, it was small patches of not so vivid flowers. I was fully expecting to find a beautiful patch where I could sit in them and have a picture taken. Turns out there wasn't a spot that would have been worth the memory card space.

Anyway, we did make it to the festival and the arts and crafts fair. It was set up along the main street. There were so many booths! I saw many things I could have carried home with me, but my wallet kept a tight leash on me...fortunately. I did come across this little treasure in The Brazos Star. I'm partial to Americana stuff and I just couldn't resist. Isn't it sweet!

The flag is stitched out of material and is surprisingly soft. I'm not sure how I will incorporate it into my living room decor, but I'll find a way!

Also, what is a festival if you don't indulge in festival food?! The smells were all mixing together, and the smokey smell of brisket and sausage was almost more than I could take. I did settle for a delicious funnel cake and fresh squeezed lemonade!

I opted for the small version (it was still a lot of funnel cake...probably the 1,000 calorie version!) but I can't imagine what a Texas size would have been like! Either way it was very good...crispy on the outside, soft in the middle, and very powdery!

Also, speaking of things that are crispy, I got that way a little bit myself. I wore an off the shoulder shirt and didn't give sunscreen a thought when I left. Apparently, I should have!

Thankfully, I Solarcaine-ed up as soon as I got home. It isn't stinging too much. You're probably noticing the little circular moon in the middle. My hair is getting much too long (normally I keep it shoulder length) so where it was I'm still creamy skinned. Unfortunately, everything else got burned. I guess it'll just match the other tan lines...soon I hope!

I had a great Saturday. I hope all you lovely people did too!

11 comments:

Becky said...

The festival and everything sounds wonderful. I love bluebonnets - I am sorry that you weren't able to find a good patch of them. I LOVE the Americana flag - so jealous, would love that in my living room too. Where was the festival at?? Your sunburn looks painful - be sure to stay lubricated up!! And way to go on the small funnel cake and lemonade. That festival/fair food can be a booby trap!

Anonymous said...

I get the bluebonnet thing! LOL Sounds like you had a wonderful day (except for the sunburn. Ouch.)

Steff said...

Becky: I did have a wonderful time! Bluebonnet Festivals are apparently held all over the state, but this one was in Chappel Hill. And I'm trying to keep aloe on my burn. Last night was a bit uncomfortable. :(

Tan: Somebody was giving me a hard time about bluebonnets making butter so I just had to throw that in for Somebody's benefit. Haha!

Anonymous said...

Everything's better with Blue Bonnet on it!

Oh gosh, I do get it! Ouch!

Sounds like a nice day, well, except for the sunburn. Hope it heals quickly!

Jacquie

Lori said...

Look at you getting all crafty and taking a picture of your back! ha! Sorry about the sunburn but I am EXTREMELY jealous of the funnel cake!!! I think my mouth starting watering when I saw the picture of the sign!!

Anonymous said...

Everything's better with bluebonnet on it! Yeah, I got that one! LOL S
Sounds like you had tons of fun even if you got some sunburn. No pain, no gain!

Niners said...

I think I have been to this before, a long time ago. I love Brenham, especially the Blue Bell Creamery. I am glad you had a fun and relaxing weekend, you needed it.

Melissa said...

I have cousins who live in Texas (in Brenham and College Station) and I get so jealous every year when they send out pictures of their kids in the bluebonnets! They're beautiful!

Jaded said...

Glad you had such a great time, and I love the flag! I'm about to redo my downstairs powder room in Americana stuff, so I LOVE it! My kitchen is done in those colors (most walls a color called "oatmeal" with one deep red wall and the pantry door on the opposite side is red as well) but the curtains and other decore are lighthouses and such. They're all kind of Americana lighthouses actually. I love those colors!

Nikky said...

sorry about the burn, but holy creativity Batman, nice job on getting a photo of it!LOL

Love the flag, maybe lose the stick and frame the flag? if it's soft, would it be too flimsy to display it full out, or what? Just a suggestion, but whatever you decide, I'm going to want to see a pic of how you finally display it!

Lindsey said...

OUCH!!! Oh well, your burn will make way for color!!! Love the crafty stuff!!