Thursday, April 10, 2008

Vegas Baby...Maybe

I have a story to tell about a "free vacation" and maybe the gullible girl that is falling for it. Great hook right?!

Several weeks ago, I got this letter from a prize verification center that was addressed to my dad but with my address. The letter said that I'd (well he'd) been chosen to win a fabulous free vacation plus another of four great prizes. The letter didn't say what I had to do to claim these wonderful prizes. So, I read it and then promptly tore it up. I tossed it away, chalking it up to one of those hoaxy things.

Well, maybe two weeks later I received another letter. Again it was addressed to my dad (a big red flag...he wouldn't have signed up for something using my address) and I read it again. This time I thought a few minutes before tearing it up and promptly forgetting about it. Just days ago guess what came...yes...another letter. Now, I have to say that my curiosity was well and fully peaked. I laid it to the side with all the intentions of calling and finding out what exactly I'd won. Then I got busy.

When the postcard came yesterday, I made it a point to call. Heaven bless the guy that answered my call! I had many questions and was loaded with skepticism. Supposedly, all I have to do is give two hours of my time and listen to some spiel to buy into this vacation resort timeshare and an all-expense paid trip to Las Vegas is mine. For those of you out there afraid that I'm walking into some trap where I'm going to lose all my money...fear not! I'm very good at saying NO!

I did put two and two together and realized that I'd have to probably pay taxes on the trip, but still that might be cheaper than if I'd actually planned the trip to Vegas. Also, I specifically asked for the website address and the name of the company (I Better Business Bureau-ed them!) so I could investigate on my own. Well, I can't access the website. That was sort of a red flag so I searched for this company and scams. Several things came up, but mostly the disgruntled were people who'd actually bought into the timeshare program. There were a few people that said they just went for the free trips and were satisfied.

I want to be in that group...the free (well...relatively free) trip winners who are satisfied group. We shall see. I'm supposed to go and tour this resort next weekend. I'm also taking my cousin with me...she can say NO! too! I'll keep everyone updated on whether I'm actually going to Vegas or not. I know you're waiting with bated breath...

6 comments:

Lori said...

Good luck girl! I've gotten suckered into one of these before by mistake. but it is easy to say no when you don't have the money even if you were tempted! ha!

doodlebugmom said...

Be careful. I hsve heard stories about these high pressure schemes. Call me a skeptic, but there is not such thing as a "free vacation" imo.

Linda

Anonymous said...

Don't do it, girl!! I know so many people who have tried this and each and every one of them have regretted it! Be careful!

Rae said...

Well, I suppose it depends on where you're staying really. Don't settle for anything less than the Strip girly!!! :-)

I don't htink I've ever met someone who was happy with a timeshare frankly. :-)

Anonymous said...

The old saying that "if it seems too good to be true, it probably is" may apply here. These people are high powered pros and know what they are doing. You might succesfully resist their importunings, but are you sure you would enjoy so doing?

Fin

Allison said...

Lol... it seems like every sitcom on TV has had one of those "free vacation" dealios... I remember seeing a King of Queens episode with it, but good luck with yours!