Thursday, May 08, 2008

A Mama Is...

All week I've wondered what project to have the kids do for Mother's Day. Some classes are making vases out of plastic water bottles covered in tissue paper squares dipped in clue. Some are sticking their pictures on a flower that says, "I love you Mom!". And we're writing a poem.

Yep, I can really let it flow here...always (well not so much these days but 360 posts prove I'm somewhat) wordy. Today when I gathered my kids around for writer's workshop to demonstrate how to write this poem I had trouble. It wasn't that I didn't have anything to say, but I found that I had so much to say.

My mom is so much more than my mom. I didn't realize that until I was an adult living life out on my own. She's my mama. She's my best friend. She's always there. She keeps me grounded. She taught me to see that there is a bigger picture. She's shared her faith. She's my mama...my kids don't understand that. But I hope they will one day.

So, here is my poem.

A Mama Is...
By: Steff
A Mama is "I'll love you always...no matter what."
A Mama is strawberry cake to finish off a birthday dinner.
A Mama is a safe place to fall when the world has been cruel.
A Mama is a loud cheer in your corner when the world has been exceedingly kind.
A Mama is the scent of fresh laundry.
A Mama is always there even when she is miles away.
A Mama is what I want to be.
I love you Mama!

5 comments:

Niners said...

I absolutely love your poem. A mommy is what I want to be, and hope to be soon.

Melissa said...

Aww - how sweet!

Lori said...

good one ~ well said!

Edtime Stories said...

Loving your mom is a wonderful thing. I can't tell you how important mine has been for me

Anonymous said...

Dear Steff,

You are wonderful! I love the poem although I am just now seeing this (May 23rd). You are the joy of my life and I love you more than you'll know (until you have children of your own). How did I get so lucky?! You are the perfect daughter for us!

Love, Mama