Thursday, August 07, 2008

Dang Bartonella

Thanks to all of you who inquired about Toby. Y'all are such thoughtful people!

Toby has hemobartonellosis which is a disease of the red blood cells. It is caused by fleas (which he had a very bad case of when he was found) and can lead to anemia. Thankfully, my vet (which I fell hook, line, and sinker for...I mean I loved how she, the vet, called me at home and talked me through this diagnosis, met me when I picked Toby up, and make a check up call today) thinks that after a course of antibiotics Toby will be as good as new. He isn't enjoying the meds and truthfully I'm not all that fond of shoving it down his throat either, but you can bet we'll be finishing the whole bottle.

I have cat scratch fever. Before you say anything just let me say that yes, Toby is a biter. I'm working really hard to make sure I'm not sending mixed signals (no you can't bite, play with my fingers, etc.) and that he learns this is not acceptable behavior. But until he does, I'll probably remain covered in nicks and scratches. Seriously, if you could see my hands and thighs...

Anyway, the bacteria that is making Toby sick was most likely passed to me through a scratch. I had to do a little bit of my own research (I had every single symptom related to CSF) and the vet confirmed that Toby's illness could have caused mine, but my doctor wasn't so fast to agree. I believe her exact words were, "So, let me get this straight...the vet diagnosed you?" After explaining about Toby and his current medical crisis she was more inclined to agree, but wasn't going to make that her final diagnosis until after all that blood work came back. No, I haven't heard yet...maybe it is just a huge, ironic coincidence and I really have West Nile. Who knows, but CSF sure seems to be the missing key.

So, while Toby is dutifully, if not reluctantly, taking his meds I refused my doctor's order to start a broad spectrum antibiotic. I'm coming off two antibiotics in the last three weeks and for those of you who don't know...your vagina and your bottom aren't particularly happy with you after a steady stream of those things. Sorry few men that read (and squeamish weenie women). That sentence probably should have come with a warning. Needless to say, I'm riding it out. It is a virus therefore it will go away without treatment. Now, if something shows up on my blood work that is an entirely different story.

And there you have it...how one very nasty bacteria has wrecked havoc on two poor, unsuspecting souls. Dang Bartonella...

9 comments:

Niners said...

I will have to say that I have never heard of Cat Scratch Fever. Hopefully your blood work will agree with the Vet, and it wont show anything else. Take care of yourself, and Toby.

Steff said...

Nina: I'd never heard of it either. When I told my mom that was what the vet mentioned, she said she thought that was an old wives' tale. I linked some webpages if you want more information. ;)

Anonymous said...

Hey, I am glad you're alive. So sorry to hear about all the stresses you're under but so glad that the vet and your doc seem to be on top of everything. I hope that you have time to get your classroom just like you like it before school starts.

doodlebugmom said...

Hope you are feeling better soon. I battled a nasty infection after my surgery last month, it took 8 differnt antibiotics before my drs and I found the one that worked.

Lori said...

Wow - you did find a good vet! Impressive with the follow-up call! I always thought cat scratch fever was a myth, but I guess not. Hope you feel better soon so you can get excited about school starting!!! :-) I can't wait to hear all about your new job!!

Lindsey said...

I hope you are both feeling better very soon!!

Anonymous said...

Oh Steff, my heart is with you girl! Poor kitty. Poor you!

I just know that both of you will be back to normal soon!

Jacquie

Anonymous said...

Dry socket. Oh terrible stuff. Enjoying your blog. Thanks for sending me a link. The school delay must be stresful. AND good girl on not taking anymore antibiotics. They can play havoc on a woman - short and long term.

Melissa said...

Maybe you two could get a two-for-one deal on your meds, since you've apparently got a two-for-one on your illness!

(Sorry - I know this whole thing is NOT funny AT ALL. Hope you two get better soon!)