Tuesday, August 05, 2008

When You Are This Far Behind...

...you never catch up.

But, I'll give it a shot.

Bethany, yep I'm alive but just sort of wrapped up in myself at the moment. This is about the time of year that things start that ever faster spinning. I'm trying to manage everything I can because there are several things beyond my control.

My mouth has finally decided to take a break from seeing how much pain it can endure and started to heal. I've been pain med free for several days now. Actually, besides being a master flusher now (trust me...it isn't as icky as it sounds!), I don't think twice about those holes at the back of my teeth much anymore. And thank goodness the antibiotics have finally worked their way out of my body (in the most unpleasant of fashions might I add...).

So, while one part of my body has recovered another part has decided to break down. Well, break down probably isn't the best way to describe it. I've been spiking low grade temps for the last several days. I went to the doctor yesterday afternoon and naturally wasn't running fever, but she did think it was worth some lab work. Apparently when they don't know what is wrong with you they test you for everything under the sun. The lab tech took five viles of blood. It was a wonder I was able to walk out under my own steam. To her credit the stick didn't hurt, but by the third vile I was starting to feel woozy. Surely, they can find something in there to explain why my body is going wacky.

I think I'm finally free from HISD (I just want to say it one time...Hell ISD). A couple of weeks ago I called to see what the hold up was in getting my exit interview scheduled. Well, my principal ( you know the one that loves me and thinks I'm the greatest thing to effect the teaching profession) never signed off on my resignation so it was effectively stalled. Now, she signed off on others, but mine managed to slip through the crack. (Breathe in...breathe out...let it go... Sorry, mental pep talk there.) I had to go in and ask for my exit interview to be scheduled and fill out some forms to have my service records sent to SISD. I also gave them my new address information too. I was assured that a certified packet with exit interview materials would be mailed to me within the week. Well, two weeks later and still no paperwork. I called yesterday to find out what the hold up was only to be told that the secretary filled something out wrong and that was why I hadn't been sent anything. And of course they can't do anything until that paperwork has been filled out so again effectively stalled. I went in yesterday and filled out the forms and turned in my badge. You know I don't think I had to work this hard to get hired! Anyway, hopefully all is said and done. There is still plenty to be said and lots of wrongs I still feel haven't been addressed, but, as I told someone yesterday, there are some battles that just aren't worth the fight.

I also haven't been able to get into my new school, which is undergoing renovations. It will be open on August 15. That is ten days before school starts. Yep, I'm nerve wracked because I like to have everything in its place and settled before the year starts. At least I'm not the only one...every teacher (except for four lucky ones) at the school had to pack up this year due to the renovations. I guess that means I'll be in good company, but still a stressful thing. Because I didn't want to have all my stuff (and boy did I accumulate a lot in two years) cluttering up my apartment, I had to rent a storage building for the month of August. I swear it never ends!

Now for the most disturbing news...my baby is sick. Nine days ago I took Toby in for his first round of vaccines and a check up at the vet. The place I took him came highly recommended but I just didn't feel comfortable. The doctor didn't speak much to me rather than the nurse, they kept taking him out of the room for tests (which I know they do, but I've had two vets that did everything right there in the room), and when I called to explain his new symptoms they sort of brushed me off. I know I don't have kids, but Toby is my baby and no Mama (human or feline) likes to be brushed off when her baby isn't acting normal. So, I dumped them and called the vet I started to go with in the first place. Toby hasn't been eating as much (a drastic change from his routine) and has started drinking more water. Also, he's been crying in the litter. This isn't really new, but it has become more animated. I was fully prepared to be told I was an over-reacting pet parent, but instead I was told that Toby has fever, is pale, and that they needed to keep him to watch him and run more labs. Walking out of the vet's office without him was really hard. Hopefully, they will only need to watch him this morning.

For anyone putting together a connection between my unexplained fever and Toby's unexplained illness wait...my mom is three steps ahead of you. It might be possible that the two are related (he's getting much better at taming the clawing and biting, but just last night drew blood on my thigh) but I'm waiting to toss that out to either doctor until someone knows something for sure.

While this probably isn't everything, it is enough to give you a taste of things going on in my life. Even with a few bumps along the way, I'd still say things are going good! And I guess that is all that matters, huh?

8 comments:

*~Annette~* said...

Ok... Toby sounds like he mihgt have a urinary tract infection or some bowel issues. Poor baby. :-( Those hurt.

As for teaching, i'm sooooooooo glad you got in a better place. My first teaching job was a NIGHTMARE (due to the psycho principal). I feel your pain. I've been mulling over the idea of goingback or not. And it would most like be... hold your breath.... elementary.

As for the pain... I'm just glad you're on the mend. :-)

Lindsey said...

I'm so happy for you being in a better teaching environment!! It will pay off, all this run-around with the exit interview, just wait and see!! Hope you and Toby are feeling better soon!!!

Nikky said...

I'll agree with Annette, my TinySue had an infection and it was cleared up by antibiotics... she's doing much better now... Hope that's all it is, and that Toby will soon be back to his little kittenish self!

Don't forget to take before during and after pics of your new classroom!

Niners said...

Sorry to hear about Toby, and your illness too. I hope your lab work comes back with an answer.

Niners said...

yes I do plan to blog again, real soon

Anonymous said...

Oh Steff, wow! It's a bummer when you finally decide to do something good for yourself and you're on the right path and you have to fight to actually get there. Why can't your old school just see fit to let you go as you are. It's not like they can stop you or change your mind.

As for Toby, good for you with going with your gut feeling. I hope everything turns out all right in the end. I'm sure it will be fine.

As for you, please take care of yourself and get well soon.

Jacquie

Lori said...

First of all, Don't trust a vet that keeps taking them out of the room from you. Trust me on this - your gut was right. I have worked at a vet clinic. Some things you don't want to know, but go with your gut. If you don't love it, then find another!

I am SUPER excited about your new job!!! I know you are going to be so busy getting everything ready and settling in but you have to let us know how it's going!! :-)

Hope you and Toby feel better soon!

Becky said...

Wow girl! You definitely have been busy and handling lots lately. Major points/kudos to you for staying calm with all the paperwork messups and stalls on your exit interview. I would be such a nervous wreck - bravo to you for staying on top of it and getting it handled.

Also even more bravo for trusting your gut and taking Toby to another vet. That first vet sounds ridiculous and they should know that the owner needs to be consoled and consulted as much as the sick pet. Please keep us posted!! I hope both you and Toby get better soon!!