Sunday, November 16, 2008

Peace

Today I had lunch with a friend at this little hole in the wall place that serves generous portions and delicious pie. The decor is what you'd call eclectic. In and among pie plates and doors made into lighting fixtures is a huge piece of artwork. It is calming colors swirled into a very calming design and the most profound quote graces the entire thing.

peace.
it does not mean to be in a place
where there is no noise, trouble
or hard work but rather it means
to be in the midst of all those things
and to be calm in your heart

Lately, I've been trying to listen carefully and pay attention to the voice of God in my life. I know for some, they hear God speaking every day, but for me I have to be listening attentively. Even then I sometimes miss it all together. This has become more important to me lately because I'm seeing how God has open doors and is actively working in my life. That makes me want to listen even more!

I think this quote really touched my heart because my life has become this topsy turvy road that I sometimes feel has no end in sight. There are the every day ordinary things to do, then the extra stuff you never plan on, plus the holiday season and that wonderful madness...it all adds up to a life full of noise, trouble, and hard work being lived. Still, among it all, I've found recently a peace that has taken over my life.

I suppose this is truly where I see God at work because just a handful of months ago, all that "living" would have me spinning. Now, I seem to go with the flow and have an outlook that things are going as they should. I feel at peace with the changes that happened at school (mainly my now essentially teaching 3rd grade), the financial issues that have cropped up (car payment, insurance, etc.), and some personal relationships.

It is pretty neat to not only have other people see the changes, but to notice them in myself. My life is full of noise and trouble and yeah I have to work pretty hard at keeping it all spinning, but my heart finally feels like it is on track for finding rest in and among it all. And that is a very peaceful feeling.

7 comments:

Le Butterfly said...

Lovely.

If click on the link or look up LunaNina - she sets up the words every week and then we log in on her site get the words and let people know that we are playing.

Lori said...

Well said - I know I feel much more at peace when I read a proverb or something from the Bible everyday. :-)

Mom of 3, Aunt of 16 said...

Whenever I'm going through "stuff" "Peace in my Soul" goes through my mind. I may not have the title to the song right. It is amazing how the Lord can bring peace in the midst of the storm.
Whenever I learned what the writer of the song went through before writing it, and were he was at the time he wrote it, I'm in awe. No wonder it speaks to my heart at the darkest and hardest times of my life.
Its kind of a prayer for peace, a reminder of the one who brings perfect peace, and a Thank You to God, all at the same time.

Anonymous said...

Two things that help me get to that "peace" place are:

The part of Psalm 46 that says "Be still and know that I am God." Be still and know!

And I have a print hanging in my music studio that says "Faith makes all things possible, not easy."

Between the two, they remind me that things aren't easy, but as long as I have faith, as long as I can be still and know, God will bring me through.

I love the quote you posted, by the way.

Melissa said...

Ahh. You must be experiencing peace, because even this post made me feel peaceful!

smileymamaT said...

First of all, what a warm and terrific quote. Your peaceful outlook shows through your writing here, and seems even to radiate a calm and positive "vibe". Isn't it nice to have a venue like this to write out what you're feeling? Sometimes writing it out makes things even clearer.

Anonymous said...

Good for you girlfriend!