Saturday, January 31, 2009

Seriously...More?

I'm beginning to think that this blog is really just a place where I can chronicle all the bad stuff that seems to fall into my life. What a horrible attitude to have right? Believe me, I'm trying to stay positive. I'm sure that somewhere I asked God for patience or understanding or to simply help me grow and well...He's answering prayer. Oh Lord...must all growing be painful?

Yesterday, we found out that my dad has skin cancer. While no one really was prepared for skin cancer, we're not surprised. My dad was a construction worker for many many years and even today still works mostly outside. The cancer is on his ear and has been there a while (you know men...never want to see a doctor) so they can't just burn it off or freeze it off. Next Tuesday he'll go in and have a local numbing thing and they will cut it off. Supposedly the doctor is really good and knows his cancer so we're all confident that he'll get it all. The only real concern is that if the cancer is deep then there might not be enough skin left to stitch back together the hole. The doctor mentioned skin grafts, but that is a bridge to cross when they come to it.

Surprisingly there is some humor to be found in that...I asked my mom where would they get the skin from and she said maybe his leg or maybe his butt. Of course, why would they put leg skin...with leg hair on it...on his ear. Then I had the thought that he does have some ear hair so what difference would that make. I was sharing this little bit of funny with my friend Rachel and was mentioning that he might have butt skin on his ear to which she reminded me that some guys have hairy butts. So...Daddy might have some funky hair growing out of his ear if grafting is required.

When I first heard, I was understandably upset and scared. And if you don't understand that then you'll want to stop reading right here... My rational, clear thinking brain knew that if he's got to have cancer then this is the kind to have. I know that it isn't on the same level as lung cancer or such. I know that he's got an experienced doctor and that this isn't the bad kind that might spread. Once it is removed, most likely he'll be 100% fine. I know that it doesn't require radiation or chemo...just a local numbing thing in the office and he can go to work the next day. My heart though...it locked on the word cancer. Cancer is bad...people die from cancer. I was scared and worried and needed to have a moment to just be freaked out.

I had three wonderful friends whose first words when I told them were to the effect of disbelief and concern for me and my family. Then came the encouraging words of "It'll be okay!" and "Usually this kind of cancer is treatable and curable!". I had some people rush into saying "Oh you won't have to worry about that." and "That really isn't the bad kind" and "I"m sure he'll be fine." I felt like my feelings and concerns weren't valid. I, unfortunately, took one person's head off even though I know he was just trying to be supportive. The others I just tried to not be sarcastic to and look at their intentions.

My mom said it best...we're sensitive because it is our person that we love so the whole cancer thing (even if it is the kind that shouldn't freak people out and that isn't really much a blip in terms of cancer) effects us differently. I know those people were being supportive and caring. I was just sensitive (and in some cases overly sensitive) to the comments. So, I'm thinking that I'm not going to tell anyone else. Tuesday will come and Wednesday will roll in cancer free so why make a big deal right?

I've shaken off those first frightening reactions to the news, and more calm about things. Still, I feel like saying seriously God...please no more.

10 comments:

Melissa said...

So I won't join the chorus of "He'll be fine" - not because I don't think he'll be fine, but because that's probably not making you feel much better right now. But I'll be praying that he'll be fine, and that YOU'LL be fine as well.

Anonymous said...

My thoughts and prayers are with you and your dad.

You're absolutely justified in being scared...people do die from cancer, even skin cancer. BUT!!!! Many many many people live long and happy lives after cancer too. If the doctor is optimistic, then you have every reason to be optimistic too! They don't tell you they think things will be ok if they don't believe it! My aunt had melanoma on her knee badly. She had the surgery and has been perfectly fine for like 20 years since then. If the biggest thing the doctor is worried about is the possibility of skin grafts, I think your dad is gonna do just fine. Let's just hope he doesn't have to have a butt ear!!

fragilewisdom said...

That's pretty funny about what the different skin types will look like on his ear. I will be praying for you and your family.

GirlBlogger said...

I personally had a lot of fun with my basal cell skin cancer, after I got over the shock of having skin cancer at thirty. Being sadistic, I'd tell my friends that I had cancer just to see the horrified looks on their faces but then I'd quickly follow up with, "but don't worry the type I have has a 99% survival rate."

As I'm sure you've learned with skin cancer it's all in the type... basal, squamous, or melanoma. I hope and pray that the surgery goes well and that they find it's not deep for an easy fix. I'm the only one that can even tell where they removed my cancer. The surgeon did a great job. I went to that guy, can't remember his name out near Abilene Regional. When I lived in A-town, there were only two dermatologist that did that kind of work. I heard good things about them both.

Nikky said...

I COMPLETELY get what you meant about needing a minute to wig out over the "C" word, I do the same... wig out, then relax and think rational... but I NEED that wigging out... I'm not gonna say anything to cause you to be all sarcastic on me (haha) so how about you just give your pop a kiss on the ear from me on Wednesday? Think of the fun he can have with that, if the whole butt graft thing happens...teeheee

Becky said...

Steff,
I hope any of my comments were upsetting to you. If so, that is not what I meant!! I am praying very faithfully for your father and for you and your mom's strength. I know that God has His plan and you know I am not the best when it comes to understanding it but I am like you, quietly asking and praying for no more. Please keep me updated with his situation. I would send a card or something to your parents but I don't want to interude on a family situation. Please let them know I am thinking of them! Smile girlie...or try to!

Anonymous said...

I've had 3 skin cancers removed from my arms and face. I've got more funny looking things that I'm going to have to have looked at as well. Life in the desert. The on I had on my face - right next to my nose - the "doctor" came in with a large group of people, started talking about my situation, told the nurse to get a scalpel. I had no clue who all of those people were (about 15 of them) and why they were in there until I heard the doctor talking to them about their internship. The doc gets a tool of some sort, comes up to me, and proceeds to slice that cancer off of my face. I had no idea it was a scalpel because the blade was on the inside of the circle. He had put NO local anesthetic on it, just started cutting away and made the comment that it is like "slicing cheese". I got quite angry at that point, because what he was doing was quite painful and threatened to punch his lights out. About that point they herded all those people out of the room, the doc left in a quick hurry and the nurse asked what was wrong. What's wrong? How would YOU like to have flesh cut off of YOUR face without any anesthetic?
That shut her up pretty fast.
It was a memorable experience.
ben

Lindsey said...

You have every right to be upset and scared and OF COURSE even more so because of your Grandma. Just hang in there....this week will pass and you and your dad will feel much better. You have a strong network of family (and bloggers!!) and you're right, maybe not talking abuot it to someone who might shrug it off is the best thing. Keep us updated! As always, prayers girl!

Lori said...

Cancer is a scary word in my book too...no matter what kind! And hearing cancer connected to one of my parents would send me into a full blown drama panic attack. So, I totally get your reaction!
I will pray for your dad on Tuesday and for YOU!

Sandman said...

Good vibes to you and your dad and mom.