Thursday, January 22, 2009

Let's Change The World

Last week, my students did an in-depth study of Martin Luther King, Jr. We were, of course, getting ready for the upcoming holiday on Monday. We also talked at length about President Obama and the plans he had to change the world. We had some lively discussions and my second graders were pretty forward thinking.

With this in mind, I assigned a writing prompt:

If you could do anything to make a positive change in the world, what would it be?

Most of my students took to this writing assignment like ducks take to water...well all except for one little boy. He's super smart and very high in his thinking, but he hates to write. I thought he might get behind this assignment though because he had some really good ideas in the discussion. Alas...no.

Many of the papers that were turned in were single space, neatly written, and complete front with most of the back taken up in words. My little darling...his paper simply had one sentence.

I like the world the way it is.

When I came to his paper my mouth fell open. First, as a teacher I was a little upset that he didn't take the assignment seriously and this was the most he could muster. Secondly, I could only think how sad that truly was...leave the world the way it is? Now, I understand that he's just an eight year old, but come on! I'm working my way through the grading process (I'm not really the best on-time grader...parents hate that about me!) but I keep coming back to his paper. I wouldn't consider myself "globally aware" or even all that interested in the big picture going on around me. I do what I can (though seriously...what is "what I can") and I try to leave a good mark. If asked...nope...I think the world can be made better. Do I know how...well that might be a little gray. My definition of "made better" might be a little bit different from yours. Either way, the world is still in need of constant improvements...just like me.

So it always makes me think when I come across his paper and maybe...just maybe...he should get a little credit for that.

5 comments:

GirlBlogger said...

Maybe he's a creature of routine and finds comfort in sameness.

Of course, for an essay one sentence does kind of miss the mark. :) Still, it made me smile.

Lori said...

Oh....I would be mad when I got to that paper!! I would give it back to him and have him tell me what he LIKES about the world that makes him want to keep it the same. He only said that to get out of writing - ha!

Anonymous said...

Kind of zen-like. Perhaps he has achieved a contentment that most of will only dream of.

Nikky said...

I'm late coming in on this one, so I gotta know how you handled it? I agree with Lori, I'd have made him elaborate IF that truly is his thought on the subject... but I suspect too, that he was just trying to get out of the assignment!
So? whadja do?

Melissa said...

I had a similar assignment in high school, and gave a similar answer. My teacher made me re-do it!