Sunday, August 07, 2005

Home Is Where My House Is

You've all heard the saying that home is where the heart is...well I'd like to propose my version of this saying. Home is where my house is. Okay, I guess a little background is in order. I have always lived in the same place for my whole life (with the exception of when I went to college). Perhaps I'm an odd ball. My family has never moved to a new house. As a matter of fact, I've never even moved to a new room. My nursery has changed through the years right along with me. At some point when I was in college, my parents started toying with the idea of moving to my great grandmother's house and I was outraged. How can you leave this house...it's my home. My mom lovingly pointed out that my home would be where my family was living...Hence the new place. I agreed (reluctantly) but I love this house. This house is my home. It's where my cats let me dress them up as babies and push them around the neighborhood. This is where I made the big bucks selling girl scout cookies. My alley....my own private city for my bicycle. When I think of home, I think of this place.

Well, now that I've graduated and I'm officially an adult I need a place to live. Guess where...oh come on...yep. Right here at my house/my home. It's pretty strange being back in my same room (yep the one that started out as the nursery). It under went some changes while I was in college but I'm settling back in nicely. Now, while I am trying to be the responsible adult, I have been looking at rent houses in which to move and start a new phase in life. And again, my parents are toying with the idea of moving into said great grandmother's house. Well, my mom causally brings up the point that they were going to rent out my house when the moved. Hey, I'm looking for a rent house. Are you seeing the picture?

Of course, this whole thing depends on timing. Great grandmother has to move into another place for the elderly (a whole other blog entry), my parents have to move and then this house that I've loved forever can be mine!!! I love this house and I'm thrilled by the prospect that I can live here for a while.

I wonder if I'm an anomaly...the only person to totally live her whole life (well up till this very minute) in the same house. My house has seen me through every phase (even the geeky ones) so how fitting that my home truly is where my house is!

No comments: