Tuesday, September 13, 2005

A Country With A Short Memory

***This should have been posted Sunday, but life happened. ***

This is a country with a short memory - the next tragedy erases the other and we don't seem to look back unless we are prompted.
Quote from BaggyDraggs

With the focus on the devastating aftermath of Katrina, did America stop and remember the terror and devastation that came after 9/11? Sadly, I hate to admit that I was pretty wrapped up in my own self Sunday. I was coming home from a relaxing weekend and only stopped to think about 9/11 after someone mentioned it in conversation. I had heard a woman at water aerobics talking about a patriotic musical at her school, and I briefly wondered if our church choir would do anything related to remembrance.

I can understand that for the families effected by 9/11 every day probably brings memories and hopefully a little more closure. I just think it would truly be a tragedy for America to forget what happened that day. While I agree with others that large public displays of remembrance or mourning might be over the top, I would hope that people could still look inside and remember what 9/11 represented.

Personally, September 11 reminds me to not take for granted security and safety. It helps me remember that freedom comes with a high price and encourages me to be grateful for those people that sacrifice daily for that freedom. A sense of pride blooms within my heart as I remember how people banded together and for a brief time looked to God for strength and guidance. I'm more willing to help my neighbors and be more tolerant of those that are different from me. 9/11 also reminds me of what America can accomplish when we pull together as a nation.

While people are still focusing on the devastation that came with Katrina, I hope that they were also able to look back at 9/11 and remember that Americans can pull through terrible times of crisis. I sincerely hope this has prompted you to take a look back and reflect upon what 9/11 meant to you.

No comments: