Wednesday, September 14, 2005

Water Logged

For those of you anxiously awaiting news of my weekend...your wait is over.

I don't recall looking forward to a weekend more than I was looking forward to this weekend. I finally managed to get out of town (later than actually planned...isn't that how all great trips start out?) and arrived at my first destination Thursday night. I spent that night with some friends that graciously took pity on the fact that I'm poor and lent out their couch free of charge. And by the way...it's a comfortable couch! Anyway, Friday morning I got up and went shopping. Now for those of you who just don't get shopping I can't take the time to explain the importance of a little retail therapy. Nothing was bothering me so I guess this would just be considered a way to expend nervous energy. I was so ready! Everyone met up and loaded up. It amazes even me that I needed three bags for a three day trip. But finally everything was loaded up in the trailer and off we went.

For those of you who have never been on a road trip, you should be ashamed and start planning one as soon as possible. Road trips are a blast. Usually that wears off after the first 20 miles when you're just wanting to know "Are we there yet?". And you usually start to rethink the joy of road trips about the time the driver says "It's just over the next hill." Well, there were a lot of hills! Just picture in your mind...two people sick at their tummies, three people crowded on one bench seat, two people who have to pee so bad every bush is looking better and better, and the one person that just likes to talk. Five hours is looking pretty much like a non-blast. But that's what makes road trips a blast!! That's some twisted logic.

Finally, after a much needed potty and food break, we're finally in the town. Except we're not where the map says we should be. Ladies, you can understand the fact that we're not lost...we're just taking the scenic route. Anyway, after several twists and turns we arrive. We checked into the resort and unpacked. One would think that we'd had enough of being in the car, but nope. We got back in the van (minus the trailer) and went into the heart of downtown San Antonio. We eat dinner at a place that wasn't that great and then headed for the River Walk. The atmosphere and music flowing along the Market Street and River Walk was enough to make up for the bad Mexican food. I won't go into too many details because not everyone thinks flatulence is funny, but trust me...the Mexican food was bad. And speaking of atmosphere, we stopped in at the Marriott and walked right into a hairstylist convention. To each his or her own I guess. Think of every opposite you can....black/white, old/young, gay/straight, sober/drunk...all wrapped up into one couple. Now that's atmosphere!!!

San Antonio was fun. I hadn't been in a while so it was neat to be down there and on the river. But the real fun started bright and not so early Saturday morning. After a breakfast of champions (sprinkle doughnut and peanut butter cookies washed down by a flat Mountain Dew) I jumped into the river and proceeded to almost drown myself in some rapids. I do not recommend going down river without your required floating apparatus. When I did finally manage to come up, I was on the opposite side of the river from my resort and had a scratched up knee. Thankfully, my trusty friend S was calling encouragement as I swam across the current to the other side where I managed to pull myself out of the water. Not bad for only 10am in the morning.

The water park was great. We didn't have to wait too terribly long on any ride so that made it better. I think my favorite ride was a contraption called the Master Blaster. I was pretty iffy on this whole up hill water coaster thingy. I mean, what happens if you get stuck? And what is up with all the nets covering the thing...is it likely that I might come out of my seat and the nets are there to protect me from flying off the ride? And just so you know...there is no "I've waited in this long line but now that I'm finally at the get on point I'd like to exit now" door. Your only way off the top of the swaying tower is down...well up and then down. And as a few people pointed out, I have a tendency to scream make this stop as the ride is in motion. I probably screamed something to that effect and bless his heart, Daniel, just held my feet tighter. So, after just a few heart pounding minutes on the ride it comes to an end and I'm left saying anyone want to do that again!

This was a great mini vacation. I got to meet some new people and remember why I'm glad I live 140 miles away from some other people (J World people....a select few of you reading this know what that means!). But overall, I'm ready to go again. If I can figure out how to add pictures to this thing, I'll try to get a few of my favorites posted.

Oh darn...responsibility and every day life are calling my name. Better go....

1 comment:

Peter A. Stinson said...

Thanks for dropping by my musings...

You noted you're trying to add lists to your sidebar. Looks like you've already done some tweeking of the sidebar. You'll have to learn a bit of html, but you should be able to... another possibility is to use blogrolling.com; I think it's still a free service...

Also, find a blog you like and examine the code (in your browser, go to View and then "Source"); that'll show you the source code that makes up that page; with a little time and brain energy, you can figure it out and then attempt to apply it to your page.

Yes, it's a frigg'n hassle, but Blogger does make it so you can customize 100%... as compared with Yahoo and MSN and some other blog hosting.

Good luck. Come back and visit sometime... and let me know if there's anything I can do to help you out with the format etc of your blog.

As to my problem, I now have a work-around; I'm not sure if it looks totally stupid or half-way okay... your thoughts?