Wednesday, September 07, 2005

My Way of Political Thinking

I've been having some really interesting back and forth comments with others on another blogspot about politics. A few questions were raised as to what it was that I agreed with when it came to my political affiliation. Well, for those of you who have been asking here they are. Please remember that I did not claim to be a politically savvy person either.

I come from a family that votes mainly Republican. I don't really agree that because my parents vote Republican that I necessarily have to vote Republican. But I do believe that the values that my parents have (and have taught me) follow a more traditional and conservative line. Therefore, while I understand I do not have to vote with a certain party like my parents, I do tend to vote for the same people. Someone much wiser than me with regard to politics and current events pointed out that Repulican and Democrat are pretty broad terms when describing one's beliefs.

Upon reflection, I believe that Philip is correct about people getting caught up in a name game. I am a conservative. I have conservative values and beliefs. I do not believe in a woman's right to choose...abortion is murder. Now while I do believe that it is wrong, I can respect a woman that has had to make that choice. It is easy for me to say that I'd never have an abortion under any circumstance, but until I'm faced with that situation I can't say with complete certainty what I would do. Also, I do not believe that homosexuals should be allowed to marry. I am not by any means a "gay basher", but I do believe that lifestyle is a sin and wrong. These are just a few examples of my deep traditional conservative beliefs. Now, some out there would label me a liberal Republican because there are several issue where I agree that "my party" is still in the dark about....gun control and education just to name a couple.

Since this lively debate has started I've looked hard at what I believe and why I lend my support to a person. I walk the middle of the political spectrum mostly. I have some core elements that I will not waver on, but there are several things that I might be swayed about. I want to be an informed American...not just a voter every fourth year. I've only voted twice in my whole life, but when I did, I made my choice based on who did I agree with more. I do not agree with everything Bush does or says. I liked some of Kerry's ideas. Who said that you must be one or the other? I half jokingly made a remark about switching political parties. I'm not saying that I'm fixing to drop my membership to the Young Republicans and become a card carrying Democrat. I'm just saying that I'm keeping an open mind.

Also, one other point I'd like to address. Someone asked me if I afforded the last president the same latitude that I was asking him to give the current president. I'd just like to say that I give the President of the United States the respect that goes with the office...regardless of what political party he plays for.

For those few of you out there that are actually keeping up with this, I hope this answers a few questions. As always, I appreciate the respectful comments.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Dear Steff,
I blog quite a bit on burnedoutparanoiddemocrat and I've seen your postings. I think you're at that stage in your life where you're paying more attention to what goes on around you. And it sounds like you've noticed some inequality at one time or another. While I don't agree with everything you believe in, there is probably more common ground between liberals and conservatives than you would imagine. What will be interesting is how your beliefs and values evolve as you compete in the workplace, get married and have kids. (For instance, I was raised Catholic and now I'm a Unitarian because I couldn't abide the Catholic Church's looking the other way on pedophilia.) We are all products of our families and the way we were raised. I think the world would be a much better place if we all were more curious about how other people think and weren't so dogmatic about everything. Take care.

Phil said...

Hey Steff, there is an old chinese saying that goes something to the effect of "we are born twice, once into the world, and ocne when we realize who we are and what we believe." It's a great saying, because it makes you stop for a moment and wonder if you've hit that moment. I think life is very much a classroom from beginning to end with many lessons in it. We are shaped not only by what comes at us, but at what comes up from inside us to meet it (and we truly discover what we feel, think, and how much strength we may really have). I think you're being very honest when you say you were raised with one way of thinking, though now you're walking the middle line as you have differerng opinions on other issues. Bottom line: I think some people are comforted if they stay rigid in their thinking as it creates a sense of security. To me, security is flowing with life like you're on a river, and adjusting your paddling so you don't hit the rocks. Sometimes you paddle left, sometimes you paddle right, but always to stay in the middle of the stream. Don't let anyone else define who you are, you define who you are and choose those who seem to make sense to you about that on election day.