Wednesday, August 31, 2005

Dangerous Deoderant

Several days ago I posted a little piece on changing my deoderant. Well here's a little update for all of you out there keeping up with my underarms.

I've used Degree forever...well for as long as I can remember. There might have been a few "preteen sticks" somewhere near the beginning, but lets just say forever it's been Degree. Well, because I'm a sucker for commercials I went and bought Dove. Here comes the update and I will warn you...it's kind of nasty and involves big doctory words.

Last Friday I noticed that my underarms were a little bumpy and slightly tender to the touch. I figured I'd shaved just a little to close and left it at that. Saturday I noticed that my underarm was extremely sore and there were two hard pecan size knots under my skin. Yep, knots under my skin near breast tissue. I told my mom and asked her to feel me up. I could barely stand her gentle fingers. Well, it was the weekend...what can you do if the doctors aren't in? I called to make an appointment, but couldn't get in until Wednesday.

So, while I waited to see the doctor I went sans deoderant. I know....gross! But I showered practically twice daily. After stopping the deoderant (began to realize that might be the cause) I realized it might have been the problem. The bumps and knots began to get smaller and were less painful. Anyway, I went in yesterday morning and the doc felt around and got up close and personal with my armpit. Diagnoisis....glandular infection of the sebatious glands. Thankfully, it didn't require lancing or poking of any sort.

So the moral of this story....stick with the tried and true. By the way...first day back on Degree...I smell great (or rather don't smell) and my underarms are feeling back to normal.

No comments: