Saturday, October 08, 2005

Lessons Learned From The Calendar

These days I seem to be spending more and more time looking at my calendar. I use one of those calendars that have the big squares so I can write all over it. And I have a habit of writing in my calendar with thin lined markers. I like the way color looks. Anyway, since I've spent a lot of time with my calendar lately, I started to think about the things I've learned from my calendar.

1. Tomorrow never comes. I find myself worrying...no, lets just say thinking ahead...that sounds better about what tomorrow will bring. And then I realized that tomorrow never comes. Why should I spend all that time "thining ahead" about something that will never happen?

2. Life is much better in color! Like I said, I like to write in markers and different colored markers. I used to color code classes when I was in college so I could keep track of assignments. Now I just color code other things...like when I'm subbing and when I work at my part-time job. Pencil is just so boring.

3. Life is what happens when you're making plans. I write a lot of things in my calendar. I write when I start my period. I write when I'm working. I even write little things that I want to remember (yep I keep past calendars and look back) like when I started blogging. I also keep track of how close my New York trip is getting. I try to make sure that life is more about the things I do and the people I share my life with than just what is written in my paper calendar.

4. I can stretch myself too thin. I enjoy being a social butterfly and going and doing. I usually have my fingers in a lot of different pies. I teach Sunday School at my church. I work two jobs. I have friends. I have family. I swim four times a week. Sometimes I look at my calendar and wonder when I make time for myself. I read somewhere that if you don't take care of yourself you can't take care of anything else. Time just for me is precious and I work to make sure that in and among everything else in my life that there is enough me time.

5. The older I get the faster time flies! I didn't really think my mom knew what she was talking about when she said that the older you get the faster time will fly. She said this right before I started high school. She reminded me to make the most of my days because they would be gone before I knew it. And you know what...Mama was right. Time flew and before I even knew it I was a senior and thinking about college. And I can't even tell you how fast college went by. I loved every minute of it (okay there were three months when I wanted to kill my roommate but that's an entirely different post) and sometimes when life gets too hectic I wish I could go back. I just had a birthday (okay last shameless plug!) and I can't believe I'm almost a quarter century old. Time flies and boy you'd better sit up and buckle up for the ride.

6. Grin and bear it and silently plot revenge. I have one of those Twisted Whiskers calendar hanging on my bedroom bulletin board. You know those one where the animals have the really huge eyes and funny expressions. Anyway, there is one where the animal is a bear and he's next to this saying. I like it because I can really identify with that whole silently plotting revenge thing. I know...I'm working on it.

I've noticed that lately I have a tendency to be really insightful. And I think that's a good thing.

No comments: