Thursday, October 06, 2005

Talk About Being Judgmental

Okay so I'm not really an expert on this whole blogging thing but I think I have the main components down. I write something (anything from how my day went to my love life) and sometimes other people stop by and take a peak into what is my life. This sounds really simple in theory, but apparently that isn't the case.

Around this blogger site there seems to be a bad case of "the anonymous" going around. You know what I'm talking about. Those people that read blogs and comment without giving the writer a clue who it came from. For instance, Rachael has had a few anonymous comments left on her blog. And from what I've read Anonymous is really got a problem with her and what she has written. And then there is Midwest Hick...he's really ticking off the anonymous crowd (hope you're still around buddy...hate to see you get flagged...whatever that means). And it's not just on this site. A friend of mine has a respectable blog on another site and she's fallen victim to "the anonymous". All of these cases lead me to some questions. They are as follows:

1. Just who is the anonymous? I'm a person that likes to take credit for things I think and feel. Therefore, I'm usually sharing my opinion and in turn I certainly want to take the credit for it. Okay so that doesn't always turn out great, but I'm the first to own up to my mistakes. So these people...whoever they be...should just put a name to their comments. Really people...I probably don't know you so why not just leave your name.

2. Why do the anonymous really feel it necessary to leave comments? I'd guess that 99% of the time the comments that get left are negative ones. Someone has taken the time to read my or your blog and has taken offense. So instead of moving on to the next blog with a mental note to not return here, they choose to leave a you're-scum-and-you-offend-me comment. And usually it's not just one comment...they return to the same self described bad blog to comment more. Don't they know that they only look foolish and we're gaining vast amusement from them?

3. Why do we allow ourselves to be drawn into written battles with these nameless people? When I first started searching around about the blog craze, I ran into several people's blogs that shared some really personal stuff. Sure, some of it made my stomach turn and some of it tickled my funny bone. I left comments places where I enjoyed the read and I quickly left the ones that just weren't something I was interested in. And while leaving my comments I skimmed the comments that others made. I quickly realized that just because I choose to share my life and thoughts with others does not mean that they will agree with me. I've learned this in real life and it's apparently true in cyber life as well. You may not care that my birthday is tomorrow or that I am an often times confused Republican. Therefore, when someone disagrees with me, I take it for what it is...a different opinion. Everyone is entitled to one. It's those people that leave comments that almost force you to defend yourself and your position...whatever it may be...that piss me off. If the blog offends you than stop reading it! How hard is that?

Anyway, this little rant sounded a lot better in my head the other night so it may have come out as clear as mud. And for those anonymous people out there....thank you for the entertainment.

1 comment:

I'm not even supposed to be here today said...

This is so true... why not just leave a name... if only to keep me from having to type out "anonymous". I respond to them, if they are "debating" me... in fact I like nothing more than a good debate. But people who threaten and name-call? Well, that's about as juvenile as it gets.

THe guy on my site mentioned "sure it's rachael's blog, but it's still out there for public viewing..." This is true, but viewing is also VOLUNTARY! No one is forced to read blogs, and people are free to close the window the moment they don't like where a post is heading.

I never figured out who my ANONYMOUS was, but I did check my tracker. I knew everyone who had visited that day... except one. Everyone was a fellow blogger except the person who found my site through a search engine looking for "pantless teen girls." Now why on earth should I care what HIS opinion of me is?

I think you made an excellent point, steff, I hope some anonymous folks stop by and take the hint!

Happy Blogging!