Wednesday, November 16, 2005

Attitude of Gratitude

I just want to point out that I now have a People I Read link on my sidebar thanks to Mike. He was gracious enough to give me some pointers on how to add people. Though he probably deserves more credit because I didn't have much to bring to the table technology-wise.

And to prove that point, I'd like to recap my hour spent trying to figure this out. And if you happened to stop by during this process you probably realized that I had no idea what I was doing. First, while I was very grateful for the instructions, I still didn't get it. So I opened my settings and tried to find sidebar listed in and among the httms and <> thingys. I had only copied one name, as instructed, and put it somewhere up in my profile. And I didn't realize that I could preview before saving my changes so when I viewed my blog needless to say it was in the wrong place. Okay, back to the drawing board.

Second attempt. I got it put in the right place and successfully changed the name. I also discovered the preview button which made things much simpler. About this time I realized that Mike and I don't read the same people so I had to minimize all my screens and find out who I did actually read. Okay, ready to continue. Everyone seemed to be in their place with the right name attached. I hit save changes and republished my blog. The new blog came up with my links in the right place. It was time to try this baby out. So I clicked on Mike and it took me to my email inbox. Thinking this is a fluke, I tried the other names. All of them took me to my inbox. Knowing this probably isn't good I headed back once again to the drawing board (aka: template design).

Third attempt. Now just as I decided to try and remove the part of the link that said inbox, my mom called me to come help her mix up some cornbread (a long standing tradition of getting ready to make dressin' next week). I tried to explain that my email was out there for anyone to read, but this apparently didn't warrant me missing the whole cornbread making experience. So, if you stumbled across my email I hope you remembered your manners and didn't peek.

Okay, cornbread was in the oven and I finally got all the inbox links removed and I used the preview button and everything was working fine. So, after much trial and error, I think I have it fixed. I'll probably continue to add people the more I get around blogspot. But anyway, for now I am extremely satisfied.

So thank you Mike!

By the way, I probably broke a few rules by linking without asking for permission from everyone (most of you I've asked before I link you in a post and this isn't much different) but, if for some reason you'd like to be removed let me know and I'll take you off of there.

2 comments:

mikster said...

Don't feel bad....I had someone else set up my original links...I simply gave them access to my blog and told em what I wanted...at least you did it yourself.

Tracy O'Brien said...

Steff81 thank you, I'm going to try that tomorrow!! Not exactly a whizz at that kind of html stuff either, but you make it sound attemptable!!