Monday, November 21, 2005

Queen Of The Flakes (Post Script)

Flakiness is one of those things that I barely tolerate in others and absolutely despise in myself. And unfortunately, flakiness has been running ramped lately. Well, one can't just go up to another person and tell them "You are being extremely flakish lately."...especially when one's been pretty flaky herself. Dang...don't you just hate it when reality ruins a great self-righteous trip?

I define flakiness as someone who just can't get it together or keep it together. I worked this summer with someone that I really liked. She was friendly and funny, but bless her heart she just couldn't get it together. I began to just expect it and kinda got a little completely selfish pleasure from watching her try to keep it all going. Well, lately I just can't get it together. Oh how the mighty can fall.

A great example of my personal struggle with flakiness is the fact that I lose everything! I can never find anything. My keys...I swear it is not hard to drop them in my purse after I unlock the door but they usually end up dropped on the table or my bed...never in my purse. I lose mail too. Mostly it's the mail that I'm going to mail. Several weeks ago I bought a card to send to my best friend D. I wrote in it and got it ready to mail (stamp included!) and then just never got around to getting to the post office with it. Oh I went a bunch of times to the PO for different things, but did I have the card with me...nope.

So, to help combat my bout with flakiness, I've put together a few ways to keep myself flake free.

1. Stay up to date with my calendar. This may seem like a simple thing, but I'm a big believer in writing things down and making lists. Lists just make the whole day flow easier. I know several of you will probably roll your eyes, but yes, if I do something that's not on the list and it's productive I'll write it on the list so I can cross it off. Anyway, back to my point. Keeping track of the many places I need to go and the people I'm supposed to see helps me not be flakey because I'm not forgetting important things.

2. Keep my room clean (okay...keep my room in a state of organized clutter). I'm one of those people that just think better when I'm in a clean and straight environment. I can't tell you how hard this one is for me. I'm kind of a slob...hey I'm working on it. I could never do my homework or concentrate on studying if my apartment was messy when I was in college. It's kind of the same thing now. I'm sure I'm forgetting something or that I've over looked something if I can't see all of the floor.

3. Stop being so critical of others' flakiness. I'm pretty sure this is why I'm going through my own flake phase. I was too impatient with someone else's flake phase one too many times so I'm getting to experience it. I'm sure there is some lesson I'm going to learn...be more compassionate and not so quick to lose patience with people. Okay...I've learned it!!!

Oh crap...I have to run. I forgot to get to the post office before the mail runs!!! So, I'm not completely through my flake phase...at least I'm in good company.

***Not five minutes after I clicked publish post, my mom called me and said "Steffany Lynn why didn't you remember to take the carrots over to Nanny!?". Gosh...do you think there is a vaccine or something I could take???

3 comments:

mikster said...

lol...At least you've outlined a plan to fight it.

Steff said...

I know...isn't that funny. I made a list to fight off my flakiness. :op

Tracy O'Brien said...

he he what a fantastic post! Scary thing is I could have written it myself! Flaky phases are something we all go through I think, though I've been going through a REALLY long one!! I often joke that my brain cells are on a self destruct mission to get me back for inflicting college overdrives!! Project is coming along well, almost there!

Oh and Planning.. it's regional and urban planning. I did a degree in English and Geography, considered teaching and then ran a mile! I don't have the patience for it, but my Mum who is a teacher I think is a saint!! Maybe patience comes with age in my case : )