Saturday, February 11, 2006

Boys Stink

Tonight was a disaster. It should have just been a good fun time with a friend, but nope...it ended with that guy going home early and alone and me going home later and frustrated.

Friend C and I were supposed to go and see a movie (Tristan And Isolde) tonight. She called last night and asked about inviting some guys. Okay, this was supposed to be a girlie night, but okay...I like guys. After much debate she decided to just leave it a girlie night. No pressure to look hot or anything...just a night out with the girl.

Somewhere between then and now, she flaked and changed her mind.

Tonight, about 20 minutes before we're supposed to meet, she calls and says "Umm...remember what we talked about last night? Well, I invited someone." Wonderful. Guy C is coming. I think guy C is pretty nice. I just am going to feel like the third wheel because friend C used to (probably still does) have a thing for guy C. I bring up my third-wheelness and she suggests calling that guy. I'm all for that, but there is a tricky line to walk because friend C fancies herself in love or lust or something with that guy. I follow the rule of chicks before dicks so therefore caution is required. So, she calls that guy. This is probably where the night began its slow painful death.

He was curious as to who would be there (she told him friends) and he then asks if she'd thought about inviting anyone else. First jerky move of the night...I'm not good enough to see a movie with? Shake it off girl...you've got a man to snag.

That guy and I are the first to arrive at the theater. He was extremely polite and so handsome in jeans! I began to think that things might have been umm stretched. He seemed happy enough to be seeing a movie in the same theater as me. Boy, girls in lust see only what they want to.

We sit down (friend C and her "date") between that guy and me. She mumbles sorry and I'm beginning to wonder if this was a horrible set up on friend C's part. We watch the movie. Somewhere during the movie that guy gets up and leaves. What? Yeah, he didn't care for the chick flick so he goes to another theater and watches what is playing there. Jerky move two...leaving the scene of a very bad set-up while leaving other helpless victims stranded in the third wheel position.

After the movie, he walks out and is again friendly....don't fall for it sister. The by now sickening duo want to go to Starbucks. That guy mentions he is hungry. I suggest IHOP. There is coffee and food...brilliant idea I think. That guy says I'll go anywhere. I begin thinking maybe there can be some salvaging done. I think that here is where the final plunge of the death to romantic feelings sword was inflicted. I wasn't sure about the location of the Starbucks. Friend C takes the opportunity to make sure I look very ridiculous because how long have I lived in this town? I hate coffee...can you blame me for not knowing where a COFFEE shop is located? That guy promptly decided he's not that hungry after all.

So, instead of having coffee and or a dessert at the Starbucks (which I now know for certain is located on B.G Road) he just leaves. Oh, well not before instructing us to be careful and have a good night. Jerky thing three...not knowing it would have been a better night if he'd not ditched me. I say me and mean me because by now it's painfully obvious that this was a "double-date".

This is one of those things I should just laugh off, but I like that guy and it's kind of stinging to know that he wasn't as interested. Oh well. So does anyone have any ideas to payback Friend C for her meddling ways...I'd hate for her kindness to go unrewarded.

11 comments:

Tracy O'Brien said...

Hmm I dunno girl that sounds like a nightmare!! Your friend and her meddling ways is very confusing! She organises a double-date.. and then sits between you in the cinema?!!

It is a pity that things didn't work out for you the way you wanted.. even a bit of harmless flirting wouldn't have gone astray! Stupid boys is right! Do you think that "that guy" was as in the dark about the whole double-date thing as you were? I mean.. if that is what he thought it was.. and left to watch another screen.. then that is just so cruel.

I'm sorry Steffie, lets hope that around the corner is a tall.. dark.. handsome gentleman ; )

mikster said...

The guy watches another movie?..kinda classless huh?

Oh....and your friend needs invited to a blanket party....lol

Trina said...

Well don't give THAT GUY another thought. If he is THAT clueless you don't want any! As far as friend C...are THAT GUY and her related???? Not the two brightest if you know what I mean....heehee

mikster said...

Probably should have worn your pajamas....sheesh...why do I always have to think of these things for you?....lol

Steff said...

Baloobas: Guys are normally pretty clueless (sorry guys that are reading this...but you are!) so it's possible that he just thought this was a group of friends watching a movie. Though, he might have thought it had more to do with friend C because everyone knows how she felt/feels about him. Maybe it wasn't me but rather she.

Mike: Yeah, he sat on the end and just disappeared after a little bit. But he was warned before he commited that it was a chick flick.

Trina: They aren't related, but like I said before she did/does have a slight crush on him and probably was playing it for her own advantage...at least partly.

Mike: What would I do without you? It's a miracle that I've made it through life these last 23 years without you!..lol

Deb said...

First of all, regardless of what that guy thought of you or if he wasn’t interested, his actions were tacky. Lose him. Not for nothing, but he obviously didn’t have respect for his friends who brought him out to meet a nice girl like you. If you ask me, HE is the ‘flake’ here…

Sorry things didn’t work out. I wouldn’t blame your friend. I think she was trying to do the right thing here and making you happy as well as herself. Blow it off if you can. The guy was obviously a jerk and very immature as it sounds.

You’re too good for that b/s sweetie!

Trina said...

BTW Steff...You are so smart and witty that if he had visited with you for any length of time, he would have stuck out the rest of the evening for sure.

PokerGodo said...

I'm so sorry to hear that things went so crappy. If it's meant to be,it will work itself out, until then, as hard as it may be, just try not to think about it. and be very cautious next time Friend C suggests doing anything

I'm not even supposed to be here today said...

For him to leave the theatre and leave you as third wheel was rude as shit. Are you sure you like this guy... if so, can I ask why?

Any decent guy would have gotten you out of there with him.. becuase any decent guy would have known that him leaving, might make you feel awkward with the other friends' coupling. Romantic feelings aside... this guy doesn't even sound NICE. Your'e better than that, babe.

I hope you warned friend C about arranging surprise double dates for you in the future. That would be embarrassing as hell... I've been there sister! And I say SHAME on both the Cs! Neither showed much concern for your feelings, and they both owe you an apology at the very least.

Well, there's my worthless two cents!

mikster said...

Hey Deb...let's head to Texas and kick his ass!

Steff said...

Deb: Yeah, basically I think she was just trying to be helpful even if the attempt was a total failure. Thankfully, he isn't the only guy in the picture so he's been effectively blown off!

Trina: Have you seen that commmercial where Hank is drinking coffee or something, but he has his own cheering section that follow him everywhere? Anyway, you're more than welcome to be my cheerleader!! Thanks for the sweet comments :o)

Shari: Thanks for the thoughts. He wasn't the only guy that's been making bleeps on the radar so I still have options!

Rachael: He's been really nice and friendly (and attentive) on group "activities" so who would have known a double would have been so uncomfortable for him? And I agree...even if we had just been going as friends what is up with leaving the group to see another movie?? Your two cents are always welcome!

Mike: lol...thanks for the offer but yours better stay home and get better!